Map of that Part of the City of new York North of 155th Street Showing the progress made in laying out Streets, Roads, Public Squares, and Places, by the Commissioners of the Central Park, under Chap. 565 of Laws of 1865 and of new Pier and Bulkhead lines under Chap. 697 of Laws of 1867.
1870 (dated) 14.5 x 39 in (36.83 x 99.06 cm)
A rare and unusual map of upper Manhattan, New York City, prepared and printed for inclusion in the 1870 Thirteenth Annual Report of the Board of Commissioners of the Central Park. Depicts the island of Manhattan north of 155th street including the districts of Inwood, Harlem, and Washington Heights. The plan for much of Manhattan, south of 155th street, was originally laid out by John Randel in his 1811 Map of the City of New York or as it is otherwise known the 'Commissioner's Plan.' This ambitions project transformed nearly 12,000 acres of wilderness into a massive urban grid. Nonetheless, by 1860, New York City's development had exceeded even Randel's expectations. The Central Park Commission was granted the responsibility of laying out the systematic street gird and public areas of the undeveloped parts of Manhattan northwards of 155th street. Consequently the 1870 13th Annual Commissioner's Report included this map which offers considerable detail regarding proposed street layouts, waterways, and public areas, both proposed and developed. Also depicts the suggested bulkhead development extending the shoreline along both the eastern and western parts of Manhattan Island. When this map was made much of this region remained undeveloped farmland and semi-suburban properties, as is reflected by some of the topography and buildings indicated, especially in the western part of the city. Numerous individual buildings are sketched in if not specifically described. Also apparent is the newly developed 11th Avenue, a critical artery connecting lower Manhattan with the Harlem and Hudson waterways in the northern part of the city. A rare and important map regarding the development of modern New York City.
Napoleon Sarony (1821-1896), Henry B. Major and Joseph F. Knapp founded the Sarony, Major & Knapp publishing firm in 1857. The firm specialized in portraits, government reports, book illustrations, and architectural and scientific plates. Sarony, Major and Knapp remained in business for ten years finally closing its doors in 1867 when Napoleon Sarony left the firm to follow his interest in photography. In addition to their public sector business, the firm also printed most official maps of New York City, including, between 1860 and 1867, some of earliest maps of Central Park.
Thirteenth Annual Report of the Commissioners of the Central Park, (New York) 1870.
Very good, near pristine, example. Original folds exhibit very slight toning. Else very clean.
Haskell, D. C., Manhattan Maps A Co-operative List, (New York 1931) #1228.