[Odessa and Environs].
1880 (dated) 18 x 23 in (45.72 x 58.42 cm)
1 : 300000
This is an 1880 German map of southern Ukraine around Odessa and Moldova. The map depicts the region from Chisinau (Kisinew) in Moldova to Odesa (Odessa) and the Black Sea and from Chisinau to Tuzly (Tuzla). At the time of the publication of this map, Odessa was the fourth largest city in Imperial Russia, behind Moscow, St. Petersburg, and Warsaw. Established by decree of Empress Catherine the Great in 1794, Odessa existed as a free port until 1858. Numerous other cities and towns are labeled, such as Comrat (Komrat) and Tiraspol (Tiraspolj) in Moldova and building help the viewer gauge the size of the cities. Roads and railroads are illustrated, along with rivers and lakes. Topography is indicated.
This map was printed in 1880.
Very good. Dissected and mounted on linen in 8 sections. Blank on verso.