This is a c. 1845 Jules Arnout view of the Palais des Tuileries in Paris, France. The Palais des Tuileries was a French royal palace located in Paris located between the Jardin des Tuileries (Tuileries Gardens) and the Jardin du Carrousel along today's Avenue du Général Lemonnier and was attached to the Louvre. The view, drawn from the Jardin des Tuileries, illustrates Parisians going about their day and enjoying the beauty of the gardens. Marble statuary are placed throughout the garden, and numerous flowers are in bloom.
The Palais des Tuileries The Palais des Tuileries was a French palace built in the 16th century upon the suggestion of Catherine de Medici. The palace then served as the royal residence for numerous French kings including Louis XIV, Louis XV, and Louis XIV, and even housed parts of the French Revolutionary government. After the installation of the French Consulate following the Revolution, Napoleon took up residence in the Palais des Tuileries, and stayed after he became Emperor of France. From then on, the Palais des Tuileries hosted the French national government, through the Restoration (Louis XVIII and Charles X), the July Monarchy (Louis Philippe), and the Second Empire (Napoleon III). Napoleon III falls from power after the French lose the Franco-Prussian War in 1871 and the Paris Commune takes control of the city for just over two months that year. It was during the Commune that the Palais des Tuileries burned to the ground. There have been several efforts to rebuild the Palais des Tuileries but to no avail. Most recently, it has been deemed 'unimaginable' to rebuild such a potent symbol of the French monarchy.
Publication History and CensusThis view was drawn Jules Arnout 'd'après nature', which implies that he sketched the view while sitting in front of the Palais des Tuileries, printed by the Lemercier firm, and published by Henri Jeannin c. 1845. We are aware of only one example in institutional collections at the Musée Carnavalet in Paris, which is in black and white.
Jules Arnout (June 1, 1814 - 1868) was a French artist, painter, and lithographer active during the mid-19th century. Arnout created works depicting landscapes and French, Swiss, Italian, and English cities.
Rose-Joseph Lemercier (June 29, 1803 - 1887) was a French photographer, lithographer, and printer. One of the most important Parisian lithographers of the 19th century, Lemercier was born in Paris into a family of seventeen children. His father was a basket maker, and he even began working as a basket maker at the age of fifteen, but Lemercier was drawn to lithography and printing and soon entered into an apprenticeship with Langlumé, where he worked from 1822 until 1825. After working for a handful of other printers, Lemercier started his own firm in 1828 at 2, rue Pierre Sarrazin with only one printing press. He subsequently moved a few more times before arriving at 57, rue de Seine, where he founded the printing firm Lemercier and Company. Lemercier created the firm Lemercier, Bénard and Company in 1837 with Jean François Bénard. Lemercier bought out Bénard's share in the firm in 1843 and, since his two sons died at a young age, he decided to bring his nephew Alfred into the business beginning in 1862, who would progressively take on more and more responsibility in running the firm. Between 1850 and 1870, Lemercier's firm was the largest lithographic company in Paris. The firm began to decline in prestige in the early 1870s, and, after Lemercier's death in 1887, its descent only quickened. It is unclear when the firm closed, but Alfred directed the firm until his death in 1901.
Henri Jules Jeannin (fl. 1829 - 1854) was a French print publisher active in Paris in the mid 19th century. Jeannin maintained offices at No. 20, Rue du Croissant in Paris from 1829 - 1835 and then move is office to No. 20, Place du Louvre in Paris. Little else is known about Jeannin.
Good. Even overall toning. Soiling. Foxing. Blank on verso.