This is an extraordinary large format folding map of Paris and its vicinity dating to 1852. Covers from Argenteuil in the northwest to the Foret de Bondy in the northeast and from the Bois de Verrieres in the southwest to Bois Notre Dame in the southeast. Offers extraordinary detail on a monumental scale, showing roadways, waterways, topographical features, and in many cases individual buildings. Prepared by the Engineer in Chief of Bridges (and Chaussees ?) by order of the Prefet de La Seine. Published by Andriveau-Goujon.
Eugène Andriveau-Goujon (1832 - 1897) was a map publisher and cartographer active in 19th century Paris. The firm was created in 1825 when Eugène Andriveau married the daughter of map publisher Jean Goujon - thus creating Andriveau-Goujon. Maps by Andriveau-Goujon are often confusing to identify as they can be alternately singed J. Goujon, J. Andriveau, J. Andriveau-Goujon, E. Andriveau-Goujon, or simply Andriveau-Goujon. This refers to the multiple generations of the Andriveau-Goujon dynasty and the tendency to republish older material without updating the imprint. The earliest maps to have the Andriveau-Goujon imprint were released by Jean Andriveau-Goujon. He passed the business to his son Gilbert-Gabriel Andriveau-Goujon, who in 1858 passed to his son, Eugène Andriveau-Goujon, under whose management the firm was most prolific. Andriveau-Goujon published numerous fine pocket maps and atlases throughout the 19th century and often worked with other prominent French cartographers of the time such as Brue and Levasseur. The firm's stock was acquired by M. Barrère in 1892. More by this mapmaker...
Very good condition. Dissected and mounted on linen in 24 sections.
U.K. National Archives, WO 78/543.