Il Regno di Portogallo.
1692 (dated) 34 x 21.5 in (86.36 x 54.61 cm)
1 : 800000
An exceptional 1692 map of the Kingdom of Portugal drawn in the Italian baroque style by Giacomo Cantelli da Vignola and Giacomo Giovanni Rossi. This extremely scarce map is without question one of the largest and most beautiful atlas maps of Portugal ever issued. The map covers Portugal from Vigo (Spain) to Capo di. S. Vincenzo (Cape St. Vincent) and eastward to the Gulf of Cadiz. Topography is rendered in profile. An explanation of the map appears at right center and a triple scale is presented in the lower right quadrant. The map features two elaborate cartouches. The first, appearing in the upper left quadrant features two mer-people supporting a modified scallop shell frame containing the a dedication to Fabrizio Spada (Fabrino Spada), cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church under Pope Innocent XII. The primarily title cartouche is set in the lower left quadrant and features the royal crest of Portugal, a stately crown, angels, and still more scallop shells. Rossi prepared this map for inclusion in the 1692 second edition of the Mercurio Geografico, one of the finest Italian Baroque atlases ever issued. Engraved by Antonio Barbey.
Giacomo Cantelli da Vignola (February 22, 1643 - November 30, 1695) was an important Italian cartographer and engraver active in 17th century Italy. Cantelli was born in Montorsello, near Vignola Italy to a prominent local family. After studying literature at the University of Bologna, Cantelli took a position as secretary to the Marquis Obizzi de Ferrara. Eventually Cantelli relocated to Venice where developed an interest in cartography. He later traveled to Paris in the company of the French ambassador where became acquainted with the French cartographer Guillaume Sanson, as well as his contemporaries Jacques-Andre Duval and Michel-Antoin Baudrand. It was most likely the influence of these innovative French cartographers that inspired Cantelli's careful and meticulous approach, in which he based his cartography not just on earlier maps, but also very much in the French style upon accounts written by travelers and merchants regarding actual travel to foreign lands. Back in Italy, Cantelli took service Count Rinieri Marescotti, with whom he traveled extensively throughout Italy, becoming in the process acquainted with the Italian publisher Giovanni Giacomo de Rossi. It is with Rossi that Cantelli began officially publishing his maps. The earliest maps to bear the Cantelli-Rossi imprint date to 1672 and detail the Holy Land, Persia, and the Ottoman Empire. Around 1680 the duo also began to publish the Mercurio Geografico, a large format atlas illustrating all parts of the world in a splendid Italian baroque detail defined by elaborate finely engraved cartouche work, high quality paper, and bold Roman lettering, and dark rich inks. Some have compared his style go that of Giovanni Antonio Magini, another Italian cartographer of the previous generation. Cantelli da Vignola in fact pioneered the Italian style of fine bold engraving that would eventually be embraced and expanded upon by Vincenzo Coronelli. His work drew the attention of Pope Innocent XI and Reggio Francesco II d'Este, the Duke of Modena, both of whom offered him a position as court geographer. Cantelli chose to work with the Due of Modena, in the service of whom he produced numerous maps and well as two large globes. He died in Modena in November of 1695.
Giovanni Giacomo De Rossi (1627 - 1691) was an Italian printer and publisher active in 17th century Rome. Giovanni inherited the important Rome based printing business originally founded by his father, Giuseppe de Rossi (1570-1639), in 1633. It was hard work and dedication, from 1633 to 1691, that ultimately pushed the firm to the heights of its success. By the mid-17th century the Rossi firm was considered the most active and important press in Rome. Cartographically most of Rossi's work was issued in conjunction with the mapmaker Giacomo Cantelli da Vignola, with whom he issued the remarkable Italian baroque Atlas Mercurio Geografico. In addition to maps, the Rossi firm produced a vast corpus of prints that include the work of Gimbattista Piranesi (1720-1778), Benedetto Castiglione (1609-1665), Pietro Testa (1612-1650) and Giovan Francesco Grimaldi (1606-1680). The Rossi firm continued to flourish though several generations. In 1738 it was renamed Calcografia Camerale. More than 100 years later, in 1870 the Calcografia Camerale was again renamed Tegia Calcografica which it remained until 1945. Today the former Rossi press is known as the Calcografia Nazionale and is a free museum located at 6 Via della Stamperia, Rome. The print and printing plate collections of the Calcografia Nazionale are among the largest and most important in the world.
Rossi, G., Mercurio geografico overo guida geographica in tutte le partie del Modo, (Rome) 1692.
Very good. Minor toning and verso repairs along one fold line. Else clean. Blank on verso. Platemark visible.