This is a beautiful 1867 map by William Hughes depicting Rome and the Roman territory in Italy during ancient Roman times. Essentially two maps on a single sheet, the map on top depicts Rome during ancient Roman period.
The Wall of Aurelian and the Wall of Servius Tullius (the Servian Wall) are both identified and color coded. The map depicts the city in extraordinary detail labeling important ancient roads and buildings of the time. These include the baths of Caracalla, Circus Maximus, the baths of Diodetian, the theater of Balbus, the Colosseum, and others. A key identifying 47 ancient sites is included in the lower left quadrant.
The map on the bottom depicts the Roman territory in the vicinity of Rome. This particular map includes ancient and contemporary names for the important regions and sites around Rome. It also notes rivers, canals, roads and other topographic features.
This map was created by William Hughes, printed by J. Bien and engraved by G.E. Sherman, for issued as plates 10 and 11 in Sheldon and Company's An Atlas of Classical Geography.
William Hughes (c. 1818 - May 21, 1876) was a cartographer, engraver, lithographer, printer, and publisher active in London during the middle part of the 19th century. Hughes enjoyed and long and varied cartographic career. He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society in 1838 and, from about 1840, taught geography and mapmaking at St. Johns College for Civil Engineers. He later taught the same at both Queens College and Kings College, London. For a time he was employed as a map librarian for the British Museum. Hughes began engraving maps around 1839 and worked with most of the prominent British map and atlas publishers of his era, including but not limited to Charles Knight, A. and C. Black, George Philip, William Cassell, and others.
404 Not Found
The requested document was not found on this server.
Web Server at dev.geographicus.com
Sherman and Smith (fl. c. 1829 - 1855), sometimes working as Stiles, Sherman & Smith, were American engravers active in New York City during the middle part of the 19th century. The firm including John Calvin Smith (surveyor and engraver), George E. Sherman, and sometimes, Samuel Stiles. Their work primarily focused on government publications, including the maps and engravings prepared to illustrate the official records of the 1838-42 United States Exploring Expedition (U.S. Ex. Ex.), maps issued for the Army Corps of Topographical Engineers, and various U.S. Coast Survey Charts. They also engraved privately for Thomas Bradford and John Disturnell, among others. Sherman and Smith maintained offices at the corner of Broadway and Liberty Street in New York City and were highly regarded as the finest cartographic engravers in the city. Their non-cartographic legacies include George Inness, who apprenticed with them for two years before going on to become a well regarding American landscape painter of the Hudson River School.
Sheldon and Company, An Atlas of Classical Geography constructed by William Hughes and edited by George Long, (New York) 1867.
Very good. Minor wear and toning along original centerfold. Minor manuscript ink markings on lower map.