Carte de l'Isle de Sainte Lucie. Pour servir à l'Histoire Générale des Voyages.
1758 (dated) 9 x 13 in (22.86 x 33.02 cm)
1 : 170000
An extremely attractive example of Jacques-Nicolas Bellin's 1758 map of Saint Lucia (St. Lucia) or Sainte Lucie in the West Indies. St. Lucia is considered among the most beautiful of the Windward Isles. This map covers this spectacular Caribbean island in considerable detail showing mountains, cities, and forests in Bellin's distinctive profile style. Good harbors are marked with miniature anchors. A decorative rococo style title cartouche appears in the upper left quadrant.
Drafted in 1758 by Jacques-Nicolas Bellin for publication in Provost's c. 1760 edition of L`Histoire Générale des Voyages.
Jacques-Nicolas Bellin (1703 - March 21, 1772) was one of the most important cartographers of the 18th century. With a career spanning some 50 years, Bellin is best understood as geographe de cabinet and transitional mapmaker spanning the gap between 18th and early-19th century cartographic styles. His long career as Hydrographer and Ingénieur Hydrographe at the French Dépôt des cartes et plans de la Marine resulted in hundreds of high quality nautical charts of practically everywhere in the world. A true child of the Enlightenment Era, Bellin's work focuses on function and accuracy tending in the process to be less decorative than the earlier 17th and 18th century cartographic work. Unlike many of his contemporaries, Bellin was always careful to cite his references and his scholarly corpus consists of over 1400 articles on geography prepared for Diderot's Encyclopedie. Bellin, despite his extraordinary success, may not have enjoyed his work, which is described as "long, unpleasant, and hard." In addition to numerous maps and charts published during his lifetime, many of Bellin's maps were updated (or not) and published posthumously. He was succeeded as Ingénieur Hydrographe by his student, also a prolific and influential cartographer, Rigobert Bonne.
Provost, A., L`Histoire Generale des Voyages, (Paris) c. 1760.
Very good. Platemark visible. Blank on verso.