A Map of Scotland Divided Into Counties Shewing The Principal Roads, Railways, Rivers, Canals, Lochs, Mountains, Islands & c. On A Scale Of Five Miles To An Inch.
1846 (undated) 76.5 x 53.5 in (194.31 x 135.89 cm)
A striking and monumental 1846 first edition map of Scotland by Samuel Lewis. Lewis issued this map to accompany his Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, published in 1846. In three large sections, this map covers all of Scotland as well as parts of adjacent england. As one might imagine form a map of this magnitude, the map offers mind-boggling detail, identifying topography by hachure, abbeys, towns, villages, gentlemanly estates, lochs, rivers, and of course, major cities. In the lower left quadrant of the map there is a beautiful view, drawn by T. Allom, of the ruined Melrose Abbey, once considered to be among the most beautiful of Scotland's religious houses.
This map is often identified as the Carrington Map of Scotland, as it was drawn by F. A. Carrington and the topography added by his brother G. W. Carrington. The production was subsequently engraved by I. Dower and etched by T. Harwood. Samuel Lewis and Company of 13 Finsbury Place, South London, is the publisher. The first edition of this map appeared in 1846 and subsequently editions followed in the 1850s and 1860s. editions vary primarily in format with few if any cartographic changes.
Samuel Lewis (June 2, 1782 – February 28, 1865) was a British editor and publisher active in London, England, during the first half of the 19th century. Nothing of significance is known of Lewis's early life; however, he was most likely of humble birth and had little formal education. He was successfully involved in an important lawsuit against another English map publisher, Archibald Fullerton, which laid a significant precedent for future copyright cases. Lewis is best known for his topographical dictionaries of the British Isles; however he also produced numerous other maps including wall maps, case maps, and general atlases. Samuel Lewis and Company had several offices in and around London: 13 Coleman Street (1829 - 1830), 87 Aldersgate Street (1831-1840), 87 Hatton Garden (1842), 13 Finsbury Place (1846), and 19 Compton Terrace, Islington (1851-1865). Samuel Lewis of London should not be confused with another more important cartographer of the same name based in the United States.
Lewis, S., A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, (London) 1846.
Fine condition. Map is dissected and mounted on linen. There are three sections, each of which fold into a gold stamped leather binder. Individual maps cleanly detached from binder. Includes linen slipcase for all three binders. Measurement provided includes all three panels, as photographed.
National Library of Scotland, EMS.b.2.8.