Latest Map of Shanghai, Pocket Edition. / 袖珍最新上海地圖總圖例
21.5 x 31.25 in (54.61 x 79.375 cm)
1 : 24000
A rare map of Shanghai, China, published in 1932 by the Shanghai branch of the Chung Hwa Book Company (中華書局有限公司). The map covers all of the concession areas, including the extra-settlement roads extending far to the west. This is one of the few pre-War maps of Shanghai published by a Chinese firm, as most maps at the time were issued by either British or Japanese interests. Interestingly, as a Chinese map, there is also a large inset in the Shanghai Old City, also called the Chinese City, the roughly circular formerly walled area located just south of the French Concession (purple). The map is scarce, probably owing to it being published in 1932, during or shortly after the January 28 Incident, the beginning of the end of concession era Shanghai.
Shanghai International SettlementThe Shanghai International Settlement, here colored in pink, was created in 1863 when the British and American Shanghai enclaves merged. These concessions had been granted to England and the United States as part of the Unequal Treaties that followed the Opium Wars. From about 1854 the settlements were governed by the Shanghai Municipal Council, a British dominated board of government officials and powerful merchants. The board issued restrictions limiting Chinese habitation on International Settlement territory and oversaw the construction of public services, including trams, a sewage system, highways, and port buildings. The International Settlement expanded several times in the late 19th and early 20th century. In addition, they constructed and administered Extra-Settlement Roads into the surrounding country, which further allowed for informal expansion. It became an enclave of peace and prosperity when the Japanese invaded Shanghai in 1937 but this abruptly came to an end with the Japanese bombing of Pearl Harbor and subsequent invasion of the International Settlement in 1941. After the war the International Settlement lands were returned to Chinese sovereignty.
Shanghai French Concession - 上海法租界On April 6, 1849, Lin Kouei (麟桂), the Chinese governor of Shanghai, granted French Consul Charles de Montigny (1805 - 1868) a proclamation ceding extraterritoriality to France in order to establish a trading colony. The Concession initially occupied a narrow collar of land around the northern end of the Chinese City, south of the British settlement, an area of 66 hectares. It was subsequently expanded several times. A further small strip of riverside land to the east of the Chinese City was added in 1861, to allow for the Quai de France, docks servicing shipping between China and France. Between 1899 and 1900 the French Concession further expanded, nearly doubling in size with new territory extending west of the original grant. It expanded again in 1914, reaching as far west as modern Huashan Lu (Avenue Haig). By the 1920s, the western part of the French Concession had become the most desirable residential area of Shanghai, popular both with foreign nationals and wealthy Chinese. The concession was mistakenly bombed during the chaotic 1937 Battle of Shanghai, fought between the National Revolutionary Army (NRA) of the Republic of China (ROC) and the Imperial Japanese Army (IJA). In 1943, the French Concession was handed over to the Japanese puppet Wang Jingwei Regime by Vichy France. The turnover was officially ratified after the war by the Sino-French Accord of February 1946, signed by the French Ambassador and Chiang Kai-shek. Today the French Concession, with its tree lined boulevards and French colonial architecture, remains Shanghai's most desirable neighborhood.
Shanghai 1910 - 1932The 1910s-20s were a golden age for Shanghai, at least in the Concessions. While China was ruled by Chiang Kai-shek, Shanghai was dominated by several consolidated foreign trade Concessions. Under the strict administrative control of the Concessions, the city became a cosmopolitan haven in the midst of political unrest and a center for global trade and finance. The Concessions occupied what is today central Shanghai's most desirable land, hugging the Huangpu River and Wusong River (Suzhou Creek). These extraterritorial European, Japanese, and American enclaves had modern housing, fine roads, streetcars, elegant shops, clubs, and more. It was a place of excess, art, and extravagance, where fortunes could be made by the enterprising - and lost by the foolish. Moreover, lacking the moral constraints that limited social life in Europe and America, Shanghai became a nexus for the opium trade, sexual excess, gambling, and other vices. This ephemeral world come crashing down on January 28, 1932, when the 'Shanghai Incident' or 'January 28 Incident' pitted the Republic of China against the Empire of Japan. Responding to Chinese student protests against the Japanese occupation of Manchuria, the Japanese Navy bombarded Shanghai. Chiang Kai-shek sent the Chinese army in to defend the Shanghai students, threatening to escalate the conflict. The League of Nations, fearing all-out war, united to demand a ceasefire, which was signed. Nonetheless, most consider The January 28 Incident to be the opening salvo of the Second Sino-Japanese War (1938 - 1945) which ultimately merged into World War II.
Publication History and CensusThis map was published in 1932 by the Chinese owned and operated Chung Hwa Book Company (中華書局有限公司). We are aware of no other examples in any collections, public or private.
Chung Hwa Book Company (中華書局有限公司; 1912 – Present), also known as the Zhonghua Book Company, is a Chinese publishing house founded in Shanghai on January 1, 1912 by Lufei Kui (陸費逵, September 17, 1886 – July 9, 1941). Lufei was formerly employed by the Commercial Press (商务印书馆有限公司), another important Shanghai publishing instruction active from about 1897. The firm attained considerable prominence establishing subsidiaries in Singapore in 1923, Hong Kong in 1927, and Taipei in 1949. Many of these subsidiaries eventually spit off from the original company or were acquired by other firms. The parent firm is currently located in Beijing and trades as the Zhonghua Book Company. Learn More...
Very good. Dissected and laid down on original linen in 36 sections. Accompanied by original binder.