This is a 1915 British Admiralty nautical chart or maritime map of the city of Singapore and environs. Singapore Island occupies the upper portion of the map, with a highly detailed depiction of the city of Singapore situated in the upper right corner, while the lower portion of the map illustrates a portion of the Singapore Strait. Numerous streets are labeled in the city of Singapore, along with several buildings, including the Victoria Memorial, the Clock Tower, St. Andrew's Cathedral, the Raffles Hotel, the General Hospital, and the Clyde Terrace Fish Market. Fort Canning is illustrated in detail and several of the hills that surround the city are labeled as well, such as Pearls Hill (the location of the Criminal Prison), Morison Hill, Mount Sophia, and Mount Louise. Buildings outside the city proper are also labeled, including the swimming club and the coconut plantation. Myriad depth soundings measured in fathoms are present in the Singapore Strait, aiding mariners in navigating these waters. Several lighthouses are marked by yellow dots and manuscript notations in the strait indicate two lighthouses that were not in operation when this chart was printed. A chart providing tidal information is situated in the lower right corner.
This map was produced by the British Admiralty, engraved by Weller and Addison, and published as chart no. 1995 as a new edition of this chart in 1915.
The British Admiralty Office (1795 - Present) or the United Kingdom Hydrographic Office refers to the Branch of the English government that is responsible for the command of the British Navy. In 1795 King George III created the United Kingdom Hydrographic Office, known in short as the U.K.H.O., to provide top notch nautical charts to the vast Royal Navy. Prior the founding of the Admiralty the surveying and creation of nautical charts was primarily a commercial venture wherein the cartographer himself, more of than not, actually financed the printing of his own material. The great navigator Cook himself is known to have scrambled for funds to publish his own seminal charts - the most important and advanced of the period. The system of privately funded nautical mapping and publishing left vast portions of the world uncharted and many excellent charts unpublished. King George III, responding significant loss in trade revenue related to shipwrecks and delay due to poor charts, recognized the need for an institutionalized government sponsored cartographic agency - the Admiralty. The first head of the Admiralty, a position known as Hydrographer, was the important cartographer Alexander Dalrymple. Dalrymple started by organizing and cataloging obtainable charts before initiating the laborious process of updating them and filling in the blanks. The first official Admiralty Chart appeared in 1800 and detailed Quiberon Bay in Brittany. By 1808 the position of Hydrographer fell to Captain Thomas Hurd. Hurd advocated the sale of Admiralty charts to the general public and, by the time he retired in 1829, had issued and published some 736 charts. Stewardship of the organization then passed to Rear Admiral Sir Francis Beaufort. It was under Beaufort's administration that the Admiralty truly developed as a "chart making" as opposed to a "chart cataloging" institution. Beaufort held his post from 1829 to 1854. In his 25 years at the Admiralty Beaufort created nearly 1500 new charts and sponsored countless surveying and scientific expeditions - including the 1831 to 1836 voyage of the H.M.S. Beagle. By 1855 the Admiralty's chart catalog listed some 1,981 charts. Learn More...
Very good. Even overall toning. Light wear along margins and along original centerfold. Blank on verso.