This is a beautiful 1859 view of the Quarantine Buildings on Staten Island, New York. In September 1858, months after this view was drawn, the residents of Staten Island, protesting against the expansion of the quarantine station, burned down the entire facility. Some of the abandoned buildings still stand on the northeastern shore of Staten Island. The new quarantine stations were later moved to Swinburne Island and Hoffman Island, two artificial landfills in the Lower New York Bay, near South Beach, Staten Island. This view was engraved by George Hayward and issued in the 1860 edition of D. T. Valentine's Manual.
David T. (Thomas) Valentine (1801 - 1869) served as the Clerk of the Common Council of New York City. He edited and published a series of New York City almanacs and fact books entitled Manual of the Corporation Of The City of New York. Valentine's Manual, as it came to be called, included facts about the City of New York, city council information, city history, and reported on the progress of public works such as Central Park. The production of this annual manual was the responsibility of the Clerk of the City of New York, a position held at different times by D. Valentine and by Joseph Shannon, who also produced a similar manual. Valentine used his manual to reproduce some of the rarest and most important maps of New York City ever created. Learn More...
Valentine, D. T., Valentine's Manual of the Corporation of the City of New York, (New York) 1859.
Very good. Minor repaired tear. Blank on verso.