1854 Pharoah Map of the Tavoy District (Dawei) in Burma or Myanmar

Tavoy-pharoah-1854
$250.00
Tenasserim Province, District of Tavoy.
Processing...

1854 Pharoah Map of the Tavoy District (Dawei) in Burma or Myanmar

Tavoy-pharoah-1854

Beautiful map of the northern Tanintharyi Region of Burma or Myanmar.
$250.00

Title


Tenasserim Province, District of Tavoy.
  1854 (undated)    12.5 x 8.5 in (31.75 x 21.59 cm)     1 : 1013760

Description


This is a lovely example of the 1854 Pharoah and Company map of the District of Tavoy or Dawei in Burma (Myanmar). Corresponding to part of the modern day northern Tanintharyi Region, the map covers the region in beautiful detail, noting important towns, rivers, mountains, caves, and beautifully rendered vegetation.

The regions south of the Salween or Thanlwin river was annexed by the British following the First Anglo-Burmese War in 1826 and included the Tenasserim Division which at the time consisted of modern day Mon State, Kayin State, the Taungoo District, and Tanintharyi Region. The district of Tavoy was located in the northern part of todays Tanintharyi Region and included part of modern day Mon State. In 1989, the name of the city of Tavoy would be changed to Dawei.

This map was engraved by J. and C. Walker and issued as plate no. 45 by Pharoah and Company in their 1854 Atlas of Southern India.

CartographerS


J. B. Pharoah (fl. c. 1838 – 1869) was a Madras, India, based bookseller and publisher of educational books and map active in the middle of the 19th century. He maintained a bookshop on Mount Road. The form was a general emporium for European published work. They also published a weekly English language newspaper called The Athenaeum and Statesman (in 1864 renamed, he Athenaeum and Daily News). They also published the The Madras Quarterly Medical Journal and The Madras Journal of Literature and Science. Little more is known of Pharoah.


John Walker, Alexander Walker and Charles Walker, known collectively as J & C Walker (active 1820-95), were engravers, draughtsmen and publishers working through the 19th century. They had several offices 47 Bernard St Russel Sq (from 1830 - 1836), 3 Burleigh St Strand (from 1837 to 1840), 9 Castle St Holborn (from 1841 to 1847) and 37 Castle St Holborn (from 1848 to 1875). The firm is best known for its work in conjunction with the maps issued by the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge or, as it is more commonly known, the S.D.U.K. However, they also engraved a large corpus of work for the British Admiralty , as well as issuing several important maps of India and multiple issues of the Royal Atlas.

Source


Pharoah and Company, An Atlas of the Southern Part of India including Plans of all the Principal Towns and Cantonments, reduced from the Grand Trigonometrical Survey of India shewing also The Tenasserim Provinces, (Madras) 1854.     The Pharoah and Company Atlas of Southern India was published around 1854. The medium format 4to atlas contained some 70 maps focusing on the southern part of Indian and the Tanasserium Province, or Burma. The atlas was engraved an printed in London by J. and C. Walker, but seems to have been issued only in Madras, India, by J. B. Pharoah and Company. The atlas claims to have been "reduced from the Grand Trigonometrical Survey of India," and, in fact the survey did provide a framework for the atlas, but little of the actual cartographic detail. The atlas is rather novel in that it has universal scale of 16 miles to the inch (1 : 1013760) for most of its regional maps. In addition to its regional maps, the atlas also contained 21city plans. These plans are some of the only obtainable mid-195h century maps of many South Indian cities. It also contained a rare map of Singapore.

Condition


Very good. Minor foxing. Minor wear along original fold line. Minor pink stains at a couple of places.

References


OCLC: 711967284.