Turkey in Europe and Greece.
18 x 15 in (45.72 x 38.1 cm)
1 : 3300000
A beautiful 1850 map of Greece, the Balkans and the European part of Turkey by George Frederick Cruchley. It covers from Moldavia to Candia and from the Gulf of Venice or the Adriatic Sea to the Sea of Marmara. The modern day states of Greece, Albania, Moldova, Bosnia, Croatia, Serbia, Bulgaria and Romania are included.
This map was made when the Ottoman Empire controlled much of the region. It depicts the waning years of Ottoman hegemony in the region, with the Greek nationalist movement attaining independence for the Peloponnese in 1821. The Ionian Republic, under the protection of Great Britain, was also free of Ottoman control. The other Grecian and Balkan states, including Serbia, Croatia, Moldavia, Wallachia, Albania, and Macedonia, remained at least nominally under Ottoman control until 1878.
Cruchley's General Atlas was unique for its period, employing a vivid color scheme extending even to the oceans, distinctive typography, and various uncommon decorative elements including a peacock feather crown and an imprint medallion, both of which break the printed border. Though many of the maps in this atlas are copyrighted in 1841, the atlas was first published in 1843 from the Cruchley office at 81 Fleet Street, London, and proving popular went through numerous reissues well into the 1850s.
George Frederick Cruchley (April 23, 1797 - June 16, 1880) was a London based book and map seller active in the middle part of the 19th century. Cruchley began his cartographic career as an apprentice at the venerable Aaroon Arrowsmith firm. Many of Cruchley's earliest maps bear the words 'From Arrowsmith's' on the imprint. In 1844, Cruchley acquired the massive stock of the important early 19th century firm of John Cary. Cruchley published his own maps as well as reissues of Cary's stock well into the 1870s. He is best known for his detailed plans of London, which in recent years have become increasingly scarce and desirable. Cruchley was based in London on 38 Ludgate Street until 1834 when he moved his offices to 81 Fleet Street. Shortly before his death in 1880 Cruchely auctioned (Hodgson's Auctions, Jan 16, 1877) his entire stock. Many of his map plates were thusly acquired by 'Gall and Inglis' who continued the Cruchley tradition well into the early 20th century. Cruchley's son, also George Frederick (1837 - 1882), continued to work as a book and map seller until his death. More by this mapmaker...
Cruchley, G. F., Selection of Maps from Cruchley's General Atlas, for the use of Schools and Private Tuition, London, 1850.
Very good. Minor wear and some toning over original centerfold. Blank on verso.