This is an appealing 1912 map or plan of Washington D.C. by the Foster and Reynolds Company of Washington. It covers Washington D.C. from the Arlington National Cemetery eastward as far as 28th Street and the Congressional Cemetery and from the Soldiers' Home Ground to the Anacostia River and the War College (southern tip of Washington D.C.). The map is exceptionally detailed, noting important buildings, monuments, streets, parks, railroads and an assortment of other topographical details. The city is divided in four sections marked N.W., S.W., S.E. and N.E. by red rays emanating from the Capitol Building. A 'Ready Reference Index' is set in the upper right quadrant. Two short paragraphs in the lower left quadrant detail the geographical divisions of streets and a note on how to use this map. This map was first copyrighted in 1901 and went through numerous subsequent editions. This 1912 edition contains revisions in red.
The map was engraved by the Matthew-Northrup Co., makers of the Century Atlas, and was published by the Foster and Reynolds Company, Washington D. C.
Matthews-Northrup Works (fl. c. 1895 - 1930) were a Buffalo, New York based, in their own words, "writing, designing, engraving, printing, [and] binding" firm. The firm was founded by James Newson Matthews (November 21, 1828 - December 20, 1888) as the J. N. Matthews Company. William Phelps Northrup (April 2, 1850 - February 2, 1929) later joined the company as an apprentice and then partner, at which point the firm was reincorporated as the Matthews-Northrup Works. The Matthews-Northrup Works rose to prominence as publishers and printers of railroad maps, with dozens to their credit. When James died, his shares were inhered by George Edward Matthews (1855 - 1910), who ran the business until his death in 1910. Also in 1910, they famously redesigned the cover of National Geographic Magazine. Despite some six previous cover changes in just 21 years, the Matthews-Northrup layout proved so popular that it was used for nearly 50 years. The firm can also take credit for the Winchell typeface, designed in 1903 under E. E. Winchell's tenure as art director. Curiously, the partners of Matthews-Northrup maintained an unusual affectation in which only the officers of the company could wear beards or mustaches. In this same spirit, the firm also had its own private social club, the Fellowcraft Club, where the all-male employees could relax, play pool, drink and dine. Matthews-Northrup maintained offices on Washington Street, Buffalo, where they were based, as well as Madison Square, New York City, Garden Tower, Boston, and the Citizens Building in Cleveland. Learn More...
Very good. Backed on archival tissue for stability. Revisions in red ink in upper-left quadrant exhibit some running. Blank on verso.