Weapons of War An Exhibit of the Army Service Forces Contrasting America's War Equipment with that of the Axis.
1944 (dated) 12 x 18 in (30.48 x 45.72 cm)
1 : 2000
This is a 1944 Army Corps of Engineers map of the Weapons of War exhibition in Grant Park in Chicago. The map depicts Grant Park from Soldier Field nearly to the intersection of Leif Eriksen Drive and Columbus Drive and from the 'lagoon' to the Illinois Central Railroad rail line running parallel to Columbus Drive. Part of the ever-present push to sell war bonds, numerous aspects of the war effort were on display. The Army Corps of Engineers made up part of the exhibition, along with the medical department, the chemical warfare service, the ordnance department (which per the map was displaying tanks and artillery pieces) and the quartermaster corps. The WACs (Women's Army Corps) and the Signal Corps were also present.
Before installing in Grant Park, the Weapons of War exhibition had been in Central Park in New York City, (for which a similar map was issued) where the highlight of the event was a 'sham battle'. A combat area, complete with seating, is included on the Grant Park map as well, implying that the battle was also part of the attraction in Chicago. It also looks like DUKWs, known as 'ducks', were also part of the exhibition, and were either demonstrated for onlookers, or attendees of the exhibition may have even been given rides in them. Ducks were amphibious vehicles used by the U.S. military during World War II and the Korean War, and an 'amphibian vehicle ramp' is labeled along the lagoon, implying that they were at least demonstrated for the visitors. A detailed view of the Army Corps of Engineers exhibit is printed on the verso.
This map was prepared and distributed by the Army Corps of Engineers in 1944. We are aware of map examples reflecting the exhibit's progress through Chicago and New York, there may be others. All are ephemeral and exceedingly rare.
Very good. Even overall toning. Wear along original fold lines. Content on verso.