This item has been sold, but you can enter your email address to be notified if another example becomes available, or purchase a digital scan.

1887 Boston and Maine Railroad Bird's Eye View of the White Mountains

Bird's-Eye Map of the White Mountains by Boston and Maine. - Main View

1887 Boston and Maine Railroad Bird's Eye View of the White Mountains


Bird's-eye view of the White Mountains advertising railroads.



Bird's-Eye Map of the White Mountains by Boston and Maine.
  1887 (dated)     14.625 x 14.5 in (37.1475 x 36.83 cm)


This is an 1887 Boston and Maine Railroad bird's eye view map of the White Mountains promoting their service in the area to tourists. The view depicts the region from St. Johnsbury and East Haverhill to Shelburne, Chatham, and Conway Center and from Lancaster and Jefferson Mills to Plymouth and Squam Lake. Beautifully engraved, every mountain in the region is labeled and its elevation is given. Myriad cities, towns, and villages are identified, along with rivers, ponds, and lakes. Railroad routes in the region, including those of the Boston and Maine Railroad and the Maine Central Railroad, are illustrated by thick black lines. The whole is framed by text advertising the Merrimack Valley Route and the Seashore Route operated by the Boston and Maine Railroad to the White Mountains. In the lower right corner of the advertising surround, a short text promotes 'elegant new Pullman Buffet Cars. At the end of the 19th century, Pullman cars were considered the height of luxury and would have been enticing to potential travelers.
Boston and Maine Railroad
Commonly known as the 'B and M', the Boston and Maine Railroad was chartered in New Hampshire on June 27, 1835. The firm consolidated several smaller companies, including the Andover and Haverhill Railroad and later the Boston and Portland Railroad. It merged with the Maine, New Hampshire and Massachusetts Railroad in 1842, but retained the Boston and Maine operating name. In the subsequent decades it acquired or leased several other railroads, including the Boston and Lowell (1887), Northern (1884), Connecticut River (1893), Concord and Montreal (1887), and Fitchburg (1900). In 1910 it was acquired by J. P. Morgan and his New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad. The firm initially prospered on the development of mill towns throughout New England and later capitalized on tourism from urban centers in Boston and New York. Nonetheless, the railroad went through a decline during the Great Depression and subsequently, when most of the old textile mills closed. Part of the Boston and Maine network remain in operation today under the Pan Am Railways (PAS) brand.
Publication History
This map was engraved and printed by the Rand Avery Supply Company and published by the Boston and Maine Railroad in 1896. There are several different states, as the map was licensed for advertising purposes. Some examples appeared with elaborate advertising surrounds, as here, and others were published without the surround.


Rand, Avery, and Company (1851 – 1886) was a Boston based book and map printer active in the late 19th century. The company was founded in 1851 by George Curtis Rand (December 13, 1819 – December 30, 1878) and his brother-in-law Abraham Avery (November 15, 1824 - April 3, 1893). George C. Rand was a brother to William H. Rand of Rand, McNally, and Company of Chicago. George C. Rand was born in Woodstock, Vermont, to Baptist minister John Rand (1781 – 1855) and his wife. Rand began working in the printing industry from at least the 1840s, wherein he mostly produced religious tracts. He married Julia Avery in 1851 and brought his brother-in-law, Abraham Avery, into the business, renaming the firm Rand, Avery, and Company. Avery was born in Wibraham, Massachusetts and studied at Wesleyan University, which his father helped to found. Rand, Avery, and Company was based in Cornhill, Boston, and was, for a time, they were the largest printers in New England. Such works as Uncle Tom's Cabin were included in their catalog. Avery retired when Rand died in 1878, but the firm continued to publish under another generation of managers, including Rand's son, Avery L. Rand, until at least 1886. They also took on a fourth partner, Orrin F. Frye, and published as Rand, Avery, and Frye. After retiring Avery moved to Los Angeles where he died in 1893. It appears that this firm also published under the name the Rand Avery Supply Company. Learn More...


Good. Exhibits wear along original fold lines. Verso repairs to fold separations. Closed minor margin tears professionally repaired on verso. Text on verso.