Fielding Lucas Jr (September 3, 1781 - March 12, 1854) was a cartographer, chartmaker, and publisher active in Baltimore during the first half of the 19th century. Lucas was born in Fredericksburg, Virginia. Little is known of his family and early life, but they seem to have been established in Fredericksburg from at least the mid-1700s. Lucas founded Lucas Brothers, one of America's first stationers located at 116 East Baltimore Street, in 1804. Later in 1806 he became the Baltimore manager of the Philadelphia based publishing firm Conrad, Lucas, and Company. His is also known to have worked with the Matthew Carey firm of Philadelphia. Lucas became involved in the map trade around 1814, when he published an atlas of the United States - similar to but in direct competition with Matthew Carey, a matter which soured an otherwise profitable friendship. Later, in 1825, he also produced a world atlas and, afterwards, several smaller atlases, numerous independent issue maps, including an important nautical chart of the Chesapeake and Delaware Bays. Many of his maps were engraved by H. S. Tanner, but he also worked with Robert Mills (Atlas of South Carolina) and others. Lucas attained considerable social prominence as a patron of the arts and philanthropist. He was on the committed that helped to build Baltimore's Washington Monument and one of the founders of the Boston Harmonic Society and the Maryland Institute for the Promotion of Mechanical Arts. During the War of 1812 Lucas enlisted in Captain John Kanes' Company, 27th Maryland Regiment though little is known of his actual service. From 1827 he served as a director of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad and later of the Baltimore and Rappahannock Steam Packet Company. He died in Baltimore on March 12, 1854. (Foster, J. W., Fielding Lucas, Jr., Early 19th Century American Publisher of Fine Books and Maps, 'American Antiquarian Society', October 1955, Volume 64, Part 2, 162-212)