15 x 18 in (38.1 x 45.72 cm)
1 : 4608000
This is a beautiful 1852 map of the West Indies by George Frederick Cruchley. Centered on Haiti or San Domingo (Hispaniola), the map covers the Caribbean from Florida to Venezuela and from Yucatan to the Lesser Antilles. It includes the Bahamas, Cuba, Jamaica, Haiti and San Domingo (Hispaniola), Porto Rico, the Virgin Islands, the Leeward and Windward Islands and Trinidad and Tobago. It also shows parts of Guatemala, Venezuela, New Granada and the Isthmus of Panama. The map also marks the Mosquito Gulf or the Bay of Mosquitoes, which is a corruption of the Moskito, its indigenous tribal inhabitants. Cruchley also identifies such undersea features as the Florida Reef, Pedro Bank and the Great Bahama Bank. Various cities, towns, forts, rivers, rapids, fords, and an assortment of other topographical details are noted. The map is color coded according to territories and relief is shown by hachures.
Cruchley's General Atlas was unique for its period, employing a vivid color scheme extending even to the oceans, distinctive typography, and various uncommon decorative elements including a peacock feather crown and an imprint medallion, both of which break the printed border. Though many of the maps in this atlas are copyrighted in 1842, the atlas was first published in 1843 from the Cruchley office at 81 Fleet Street, London, and proving popular went through numerous reissues well into the 1850s.
George Frederick Cruchley (April 23, 1797 - June 16, 1880) was a London based book and map seller active in the middle part of the 19th century. Cruchley began his cartographic career as an apprentice at the venerable Aaroon Arrowsmith firm. Many of Cruchley's earliest maps bear the words 'From Arrowsmith's' on the imprint. In 1844, Cruchley acquired the massive stock of the important early 19th century firm of John Cary. Cruchley published his own maps as well as reissues of Cary's stock well into the 1870s. He is best known for his detailed plans of London, which in recent years have become increasingly scarce and desirable. Cruchley was based in London on 38 Ludgate Street until 1834 when he moved his offices to 81 Fleet Street. Shortly before his death in 1880 Cruchely auctioned (Hodgson's Auctions, Jan 16, 1877) his entire stock. Many of his map plates were thusly acquired by 'Gall and Inglis' who continued the Cruchley tradition well into the early 20th century. Cruchley's son, also George Frederick (1837 - 1882), continued to work as a book and map seller until his death. More by this mapmaker...
Cruchley, G. F., Cruchley's General Atlas, for the use of Schools and Private Tuition, London, 1853.
Very good. Minor wear and toning along original centerfold. Blank on verso.