Alaska and Part of British America. The Yukon Gold Fields and Routes by Which They Are Reached.
1903 (dated) 13 x 19 in (33.02 x 48.26 cm)
1 : 5913600
This is a 1903 Mast, Crowell, and Kirkpatrick map of Alaska and the Yukon gold fields. The map depicts from the Bering Sea and the Bering Strait to the Mackenzie District and British Columbia in Canada and from the Arctic Ocean to the Gulf of Alaska and the Pacific Ocean. The Klondike Region is labeled and depicted in detail, with both the Klondike and Stewart Rivers labeled, along with several tributaries. The 'Yukon District' is shaded yellow, most likely to create a subconscious association with gold. Two different routes to the Klondike are illustrated. The first runs from Juneau and Dyea north to Dawson City and the other runs from St. Michael across Alaska to Fort Reliance and Dawson City. Numerous other towns are labeled, including Sitka, Dutch Harbor, and Nome (Nome City). Myriad forts, rivers, mountains, and other regions of Alaska also are labeled, including Prince William Sound. In Canada, several locations are also labeled, such as Fort Good Hope, Fort Normann, and Fort Simpson along the Mackenzie River, as well as the Rocky Mountains and the Cassiar Mining Region in British Columbia. A table of distances is situated in the upper right corner, which lists distances within the Yukon gold region, and distances along the ocean route to the Yukon gold region and the overland route to the Klondike via Chilkoot Pass.
This map was published by Mast, Crowell, and Kirkpatrick Publishing in 1903.
Mast, Crowell, and Kirkpatrick Publishers (fl. 1877 - 1973), later known as the Crowell-Collier Publishing Company, is a now defunct American publisher the owned Collier’s, Women’s Home Companion, and The American Magazine, along with general reference books such as Collier’s Encyclopedia and the Harvard classics book series.
Founded in the 19th century, Crowell-Collier began in 1877 when Phineas Pl Mast, an industrialist from Ohio, hired John S. Crowell away from Home and Farm in Louisville to manage Farm and Fireside, a bi-monthly journal. Mast retired in 1879, but stayed on as an investor. Crowell, along with T.J. Kirkpatrick (Mast’s nephew) then changed the name to Mast, Crowell, and Kirkpatrick Publishers. Crowell obtained Kirkpatrick’s interest in 1902 and renamed the company the Crowell Publishing Company. In 1906, he sold the company, but the new owners retained the name.
In 1919, the Crowell Publishing Company acquired Collier’s. In 1939, the company changed its name to The Crowell-Collier Publishing Company. In the mid-1950s, Crowell-Collier ran into financial difficulties. They discontinued both Collier’s and Women’s Home Companion in 1956. Crowell-Collier merged with Macmillan in December 1960 and changed its name to Macmillan, Inc. in 1973.
Very good. Rold separations professionally repaired on verso. Map of Philippines on verso.