Bird's Eye View of Boston Harbor along the South Shore to Provincetown.
16 x 20 in (40.64 x 50.8 cm)
This is a 1914 William J. Finn chromolithograph bird's eye view of Boston Harbor from Boston to Provincetown. This view was drawn and published for sale to steamship passengers at the Union News stands at the Rowes Wharf steamship terminal, which serviced the Nantasket Line. All of Cape Cod Bay, Quincy Bay, and Dorchester Bay are depicted, including the communities of Boston, East Boston, South Boston, Dorchester, Quincy, and Hough's Neck, Mingham, Nantasket, Duxbury, Cohasset, and Scituate. Numerous islands in Boston Harbor are illustrated and labeled, including Moon Island, Spectacle Island, Thomson's Island, and Governor's Island. Ferry and steamboat lines are also labeled. Twenty-five locations throughout the region are numerically labeled and correspond with an index situated along the bottom border. Four additional locations are labeled alphabetically, which are also included in said index.
ChromolithographyChromolithography is a color lithographic technique developed in the mid-19th century. The process involved using multiple lithographic stones, one for each color, to yield a rich composite effect. Oftentimes, the process would start with a black basecoat upon which subsequent colors were layered. Some chromolithographs used 30 or more separate lithographic stones to achieve the desired product. Chromolithograph color could also be effectively blended for even more dramatic results. The process became extremely popular in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, when it emerged as the dominate method of color printing. The vivid color chromolithography produced made it exceptionally effective for advertising and propaganda imagery.
Publication History and CensusThis view was drawn and copyrighted by William J. Finn for the Union News Company. It was engraved and printed in 1914 by the Federal Engraving and Publishing Company. This is the earliest edition we are aware of and while it does not substantially differ from later states in terms of content, it is noticeably brighter and more beautiful, suggesting that the plate may have degraded in later printings. Cartographically, this map is based upon the late 19th century views of John Murphy.
Union News Company (fl. c. 1890 - 1969) was founded by William Skelly in the late 1800's and operated until the late 1960s. After the railroads opened it became custom to have boys -newsboys- pass through the cars with waters, newspapers and other small amenities. Skelly was the first newsboy on the railroad and became well known among railroad passengers. He gradually increased his facilities, hiring additional newsboys, until he virtually monopolized the railroad, and later steamship, news business. He made a small fortune and used this to found the Union News Company. The company was first known for the sales of newspapers in stations until it was able to expand and being selling papers on the train and in station restaurants. Union News continued to grow becoming major distributors of postcards and other printed items through their newsstands at hotels, rail and subway stations. The company officially folded in 1969. Learn More...
Very good. Wear along original fold lines. Blank on verso. Accompanied by original binder.