This is a scarce and beautiful 1842 nautical chart or maritime map of Cape Poge, Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts. It covers the region including parts of Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard Island, Chappaquidick Island and Muskeget Island. The towns of Falmouth and Edgartown are identified. It depicts most of the Island of Martha's Vineyard, though it does cut out the western part of the Island. Woods Hole, Holmes Hole, Robinson's Hole Tarpaulin Cove and Cedar tree Neck are all identified. Various shoals are noted, along with some depth soundings and relief shown by hachure. The Holmes Hole Lighthouse, West Chop, and the Cape Poge Lighthouse, made famous in the movie 'Jaws' are both identified. This map was engraved by Hooker Sc. for issue in the 14th edition of the American Coast Pilot published by Edmund and George W. Blunt in 1842.
Edmund March Blunt (June 20, 1770 - 1862) was an American navigator, bookseller, chartmaker, and cartographer based in Newburyport, Massachusetts. Blunt was born in Portsmouth, New Hampshire in 1770. In 1796, along with the nominal assistance of prominent navigator Captain Lawrence Furlong, Blunt published The American Coast Pilot, one of the most important published works on American navigation. Although much of the work was plagiarized from British publications, the Coast Pilot was an immediate popular success. In response to the popularity of his work, Blunt published 21 subsequent editions, each with important updates and revisions. The first edition to contain map plates was printed in 1804. Following a fire that destroyed his offices at The Sign of the Bible in 1811, Blunt moved his business to New York and opened a new shop, The Sign of the Quadrant. His sons Edmund Jr. (1799 - 1866) and George William (1802 - 1878), joined the firm in 1824 and eventually took over the family business, renaming the firm 'E. and G. W. Blunt'. They both produced their own nautical books, charts, and instruments, as well as republished their father’s work. In 1830, Edmund accepted a position under Ferdinand Hassler at the United States Office of the Coast Survey. Much of Blunt's original work eventually found its way into U.S. Coast Survey Publications. George closed the firm in 1872 and sold the plates and chart copyrights to the U.S. Coast Survey and the U.S. Navy Hydrographic Office. Due to the quality and detail of Blunt's work, revised editions of his most important charts were republished well into the 1880s. More by this mapmaker...
Blunt, E., American Coast Pilot (14th edition), 1842.
Very good. Some foxing at places.