Map of Cincinnati and Suburbs and Covington and Newport. Bellevue, Dayton, Ludow, and Bromley, [KY]
1888 (undated) 27 x 32 in (68.58 x 81.28 cm)
1 : 18700
A stunning large format map of 1888 map of Cincinnati by Max Burgheim, this is one of the finest maps of CIncinnati to appear in the 19th century. The map covers all of Cincinnati as it existed at the time as well as some outlying areas from Spring Grove Cemetery and Cummminsville to Covington and Newport in adjacent Kentucky. It names streets and identifies city wards with color coding – including the hip Over-The-Rhine district and the Central Business District where Burgheim's shop was located (484 Vine). The grounds of Eden Park are laid out with some clarity with footpaths and important buildings identified. The John A. Roebling Suspension Bridge, a precursor to the Brooklyn Bridge, is identified simply as 'Suspension Bridge.'
This map was prepared for Bergheim's Cincinnati in Wort und Bild, a beautifully produced and voluminous German language book extolling the German heritage of Cincinnati and the virtues of Cincinnati in general. The volume was first issued in 1888 and contained this map. An earlier, smaller version of this map, under a similar title, was issued in Burgheim's 1875 Cincinnati Fuhrer Illustrirt. Because the similar in titles, this map is frequently seen misdated by as much as 5 years. This map was printed in Cincinati by Adolph Krebs.
Max Burgheim (1849 – 1935) was a Cincinnati based printer and political figure active the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Burgheim probably immigrated from Germany in the 1850s, and like many German immigrants, established himself in Cincinnati. He operated a German American Bookstore and published, along the R. Burghiem (relative>) several important books promoting Cincinnati's German heritage, including Cincinnati in World und Bild and Cincinnati Fuhrer Illustrirt. He also apparently had a profitable export business shipping German calendars and fairy books to Germany. He is identified in the 1909 Business Directory of Cincinnati as the president of the Cincinnati Freie Presse, a German language daily newspaper with offices situated at Canal and Vine in the Over-the-Rhine neighborhood. He also operated the Abend Presse. He was also politically active as the City's Health and Safety Commissioner, and in 1899 Police Commissioner. Burgheim was a staunch opponent against organized labor.
Adolph K. Krebs (1831–1884) was a Cincinnati, Ohio, lithographer active in the second Half of the 19th Century. His firms, Krebs Lithographic Company, was initially founded in 1856 as Ehrgott and Forbriger, after Peter E. Ehrgott and Adolphus F. Forbriger. When Forbirger died in 1869, Peter Ehrgott took on Krebs as a new partner. The name briefly changed to Ehgrott and Krebs. When Ehgrott retirned in 1874, it was renamed Krebs Lithographic Compnay. Krebs took on partners W. D. Henderson, and F. Veigel but maintained overall ownership and management of the company. Under Krebs the firm reached new heights, producing both lithographic and chromolithographic items, including bonds, checks, diplomas, drafts, maps, and views. The Cincinnati firm was based in the Carlisle Building, where, at their largest, they occupied two full floors.
Burgheim, M., Cincinnati in Wort und Bild, (Cincinnati: M. and R. Burgheim) 1888.
Very good. A few minor verso reinforcements. Else clean.
OCLC 10657415, 55057921. Rumsey 3370.001.