This is a lovely 1854 Pharoah and Company map of the city of Hyderabad, in the Indian state of Telangana. It covers the old city of Hyderabad, built on the banks of the Musi River, and its vicinity in beautiful detail and extends from the Mir Alam Tank north to include the Hussain Sagar Lake and part of Secunderabad. Notes several streets, fields, tanks, and important buildings with the houses of nobility colored red. A reference key below the title list the gates of the walled city marked on the map. Golconda Fort is also identified.
At the time this map was built, Hyderabad was the royal seat of the Nizam of Hyderabad. The city was build around the Charminar and divided into four divisions. Hyderabad is also known as the City of Pearls. This region was historically known as a center of trade for the diamond and pearl industry. The world renowned Hope Diamond, Kohinoor Diamond, Daria-i-Noor Diamond, and Nassak Diamond are believed to have come from diamond mines near Golconda.
This map was engraved by J. and C. Walker and issued as plate no. 51 by Pharoah and Company in their 1854 Atlas of Southern India.
J. B. Pharoah (fl. c. 1838 – 1869) was a Madras, India, based bookseller and publisher of educational books and map active in the middle of the 19th century. He maintained a bookshop on Mount Road. The form was a general emporium for European published work. They also published a weekly English language newspaper called The Athenaeum and Statesman (in 1864 renamed, he Athenaeum and Daily News). They also published the The Madras Quarterly Medical Journal and The Madras Journal of Literature and Science. Little more is known of Pharoah.
John Walker, Alexander Walker and Charles Walker, known collectively as J & C Walker (fl. 1820-95), were engravers, draughtsmen and publishers working through the 19th century. They had several offices 47 Bernard St Russel Sq (from 1830 - 1836), 3 Burleigh St Strand (from 1837 to 1840), 9 Castle St Holborn (from 1841 to 1847) and 37 Castle St Holborn (from 1848 to 1875). The firm is best known for its work in conjunction with the maps issued by the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge or, as it is more commonly known, the S.D.U.K. However, they also engraved a large corpus of work for the British Admiralty , as well as issuing several important maps of India and multiple issues of the Royal Atlas. Learn More...
Pharoah and Company, An Atlas of the Southern Part of India including Plans of all the Principal Towns and Cantonments, reduced from the Grand Trigonometrical Survey of India shewing also The Tenasserim Provinces, (Madras) 1854.
The Pharoah and Company Atlas of Southern India was published around 1854. The medium format 4to atlas contained some 70 maps focusing on the southern part of Indian and the Tanasserium Province, or Burma. The atlas was engraved an printed in London by J. and C. Walker, but seems to have been issued only in Madras, India, by J. B. Pharoah and Company. The atlas claims to have been "reduced from the Grand Trigonometrical Survey of India," and, in fact the survey did provide a framework for the atlas, but little of the actual cartographic detail. The atlas is rather novel in that it has universal scale of 16 miles to the inch (1 : 1013760) for most of its regional maps. In addition to its regional maps, the atlas also contained 21city plans. These plans are some of the only obtainable mid-195h century maps of many South Indian cities. It also contained a rare map of Singapore.
Very good. Minor foxing. Minor wear along original fold line.