Clark and Tackabury's New Topographical Map of the State of Connecticut.
1859 (dated) 57 x 73 in (144.78 x 185.42 cm)
An attractive 1859 first edition example of Richard Clark and Robert & George Tackabury's important wall map of Connecticut. The map covers the entire state of Connecticut with impressive detail including topography shown by hachure, color coding by county and township, notes on railroad lines, rivers, and roads, countless depth sounding all along the Long Island Sound, and multiple insets of Connecticut cities. Drawn on a scale of 1.5 miles to the inch, Clark & Tackabury's map purports to be the most complete map of Connecticut ever published, identifying 'the location of all public buildings, churches, school-houses, manufacturing establishments, and private residences'. Nine insets focus on the cities of Norwalk, New London, Bridgeport, Hartford, Norwich, Middleton, Waterbury, Norwich, Waterbury, Stamford and New Haven, where Yale College is identified. To the left of the map proper are 1850 census population statistics for both counties and cities arrayed in a table. Cartographically this map is an amalgam of older maps and new private survey work produced by G. M Hopkins and Company of Philadelphia. The countless depth soundings along the Long Island Sound are drawn from the U.S. Coast Survey's work in this region. This is one of the last great wall maps of Connecticut in the 19th century. This map was printed in Philadelphia and sold by subscription in both wall and case format from March 2, 1859.
Richard Clark (fl. c. 1850 - 1865) was an American cartographer active in the middle part of the 19th century. Though he seems to have been based in Philadelphia, most of Clark's work was compiled in conjunction with other publishers and focused on Connecticut and Massachusetts. Clark is associated with several maps, but his most important are a wall map of Fairfield County, Connecticut, and Connecticut itself. Little is known of Clark's life.
Robert M. Tackabury and George N. Tackabury (1828 - 1894) were Philadelphia based map publishers active in the middle part of the 19th century. The Tackaburys were born in New York. They published several case maps, pocket maps and atlases in conjunction with Robert Clark and Henry Francis Walling. Little else is known of this elusive duo.
G.M. Hopkins Company (1865 - 1940 ; 1943 - today) was an American civil engineering and surveying firm based in Philadelphia. Founded in Philadelphia in 1865 by brothers G.M. and Henry Hopkins as G.M. Hopkins and Company, the firm focused primarily on real estate plat maps of the Eastern seaboard. It is unknown exactly who G.M. Hopkins was. The 'G.M.' either stands for Griffith Morgan or George Morgan. Three possibilities exist for this happenstance: it is possible that the compilers of early Philadelphia directories were negligent, G.M. Hopkins changed his first name, or two G.M. Hopkins worked for the firm. The firm published 175 different plat maps atlases depicting cities, counties, and townships in eighteen states and the District of Columbia, and were among the first to create a cadastral atlas. Henry Hopkins supervised much of the surveying work and was credited with creating two maps in 1860 and 1861. He also served as the chief assistant. G.M. retired in 1900 (and died the following year), which allowed Henry to take control of the business which he renamed the G.M. Hopkins Company in 1902. Henry retired in 1902 and sold the business to George B.C. Thomas, who had been working for the firm since 1896 as an engraver. Henry Hopkins died in 1921. The G.M. Hopkins Company was purchased by the Franklin Survey Company of Philadelphia in 1943 and continued publishing atlases using the Hopkins imprint. In 1986 the company was renamed Franklin Maps and is still in operation today.
Good. Professionally restored and backed with fresh linen. Original rollers. Part of top border missing - see image. Measurement includes rollers.
Thompson, E., Maps of Connecticut for the Years of the Industrial Revolution, #181.