40 x 21 in (101.6 x 53.34 cm)
1 : 780000
This is a monumental and highly detailed map 1789 map of the Coromandel Coast, India by Franz Anton Schrämbl. This map, on two separate sheets, covers the southeastern coast of India from Nagapattinam (Nega-Patnam) north as far as Narsapur and inland as far as Tiruchirappalli and Hyderabad. Schrämbl derived this map from the influential French cartographer Jean-Baptiste Bourguignon d' Anville's similar map of 1753, which here has been re-engraved, updated, and translated into German. It offers excellent coverage of the Coromandel Coast of India naming port cities, including Chennai (Madras), Nagappattinam (Negapatam), Puducherry (Pondicherry), Pazhaverkadu (Pulicat), etc. Several important rivers, towns, villages, roads and other topographical features are also noted throughout. Mountain ranges are rendered in profile.
Coromandel CoastThe Coromandel Coast, whose name is derived from the ancient Chola Dynasty that ruled the region from the 3rd Century BC to the 13th Century AD. The Portuguese settled in the region during the 16th century, followed by the British, the French, and the Dutch during the 17th and 18 centuries, leading to rivalries among the European powers, that hoped to control Indian trade. It is of note that Schrämbl included two India maps in his atlas, this and a large general map of India after James Rennell. Control of the Coromandel Coast was traded back and forth between the French and British for nearly 100 years. By includes two maps of India, one by an Englishman, and this by a a Frenchman, he presents differing perspectives on the subcontinent.
Publication History and Census Schrämbl prepared this map in 1789 for inclusion in his monumental Allgemeiner grosser Atlas. Though many of the maps in this atlas are dated 1789 the atlas itself was not complete until 1800, when it was published in Vienna. Schrämbl's Allgemeiner Grosser Atlas presented his Austrian audience with the works of the best cartographers of the day: D'Anville, Kitchin, Rennell, the Berlin Academy of Sciences and the St. Petersburg Academy of Sciences. A lavish production, the Allgemeiner grosser Atlas was expensive and proved difficult to sell, with the result that few were printed, leading to considerable scarcity relative to other European atlases of the period. OCLC shows separate map catalogued in only 6 institutional collections; the complete atlas is shown only in 3, the Staatsbibliothek Zu Berlin, the Institut Fuer Laender Bunde, and the Universiteit Leiden.
Franz Anton Schraembl (1751 - 1803) was a Vienna based cartographer working in the later part of the 18th century. Schraembl was burnin Vienna and founded his firm in 1787, partnering with fellow Austrian Franz Johann Joseph von Reilly (1766 - 1820), and began his great work, the Allgemeiner Grosser Atlas in the same year. This ambitious large format atlas was to be based upon only the most up-to-date cartographic information available and is based upo the work of cartographers like D'Anville and explorers such as Cook, Roberts, and others. The atlas was finally finished in 1800 but becoming the first Austrian world atlas. The work unfortunately enjoyed only relatively minimal circulation, possibly due to its high cost. The low sales, unfortunately, drove Schraembl into insolvency. His business eventually recovered somewhat with the publication of a diverse array of materials ranging from literature to art books. When Franz Anton died in 1803, the firm was taken over by his widow Johanna and her brother, the engraver Karl Robert Schindelmayer. From 1825 the firm was taken over by his son, Eduard Schraembl. More by this mapmaker...
Jean Baptiste Bourguignon d'Anville (1697 - 1782) was perhaps the most important and prolific cartographer of the 18th century. D'Anville's passion for cartography manifested during his school years when he amused himself by composing maps for Latin texts. There is a preserved manuscript dating to 1712, Graecia Vetus, which may be his earliest surviving map - he was only 15 when he drew it. He would retain an interest in the cartography of antiquity throughout his long career and published numerous atlases to focusing on the ancient world. At twenty-two D'Anville, sponsored by the Duke of Orleans, was appointed Geographer to the King of France. As both a cartographer and a geographer, he instituted a reform in the general practice of cartography. Unlike most period cartographers, D'Anville did not rely exclusively on earlier maps to inform his work, rather he based his maps on intense study and research. His maps were thus the most accurate and comprehensive of his period - truly the first modern maps. Thomas Basset and Philip Porter write: "It was because of D'Anville's resolve to depict only those features which could be proven to be true that his maps are often said to represent a scientific reformation in cartography." (The Journal of African History, Vol. 32, No. 3 (1991), pp. 367-413). In 1754, when D'Anville turned 57 and had reached the height of his career, he was elected to the Academie des Inscriptions. Later, at 76, following the death of Philippe Buache, D'Anville was appointed to both of the coveted positions Buache held: Premier Geographe du Roi, and Adjoint-Geographer of the Academie des Sciences. During his long career D'Anville published some 211 maps as well as 78 treatises on geography. D'Anville's vast reference library, consisting of over 9000 volumes, was acquired by the French government in 1779 and became the basis of the Depot Geographique - though D'Anville retained physical possession his death in 1782. Remarkably almost all of D'Anville's maps were produced by his own hand. His published maps, most of which were engraved by Guillaume de la Haye, are known to be near exact reproductions of D'Anville' manuscripts. The borders as well as the decorative cartouche work present on many of his maps were produced by his brother Hubert-Francois Bourguignon Gravelot. The work of D'Anville thus marked a transitional point in the history of cartography and opened the way to the maps of English cartographers Cary, Thomson and Pinkerton in the early 19th century. Learn More...
Schraembl, K. A., Allgemeiner grosser Atlas, (Vienna), 1800.
Very good. Minor wear along original centerfolds. Original platemarks visible. Map is on two separate sheets. Can be joined upon request at an additional cost. Blank on verso.
Rumsey 2603.023 (1753 edition by J.B.B. Anville). OCLC 948279390.