1646 (undated) 15.5 x 20.5 in (39.37 x 52.07 cm)
1 : 524000
This is a spectacular 1646 old color map of Tuscany, or the Florentine Territory (Fiorentino) by Willaem Janszoon Blaeu. The map covers the entire region of Tuscany with the cities of Perugia, Siena, Florence (Firenze), Lucca, and Pisa identified. There are two decorative cartouches, one for the title and one for a dedication to D. Theodoro Hasselaer. Today, Tuscany is known for its remarkable countryside, fine foods, and extraordinary red wines. Florence (Firenze) is home to many fabulous art museums, including the museum which houses Michelangelo's statue of David.
This map was issued for the 1646 Latin edition of Willaem Janszoon Blaeu's iconic Atlas Mayor.
The Blaeu Family (fl. 1596 - 1672). The Amsterdam based Blaeu clan represents the single most important family in the history of cartography. The firm was founded in 1596 by Willem Janzoon Blaeu (1571-1638). It was in this initial period, from 1596 to 1672, under the leadership of the Willem Blaeu and with this assistance of his two talented sons Cornelius (1616-1648) and Johannis (1596-1673), that the firm was most active. Their greatest cartographic achievement was the publication of the magnificent multi-volume Atlas Major. To this day, the Atlas Major represents one of the finest moments in cartography. The vast scope, staggering attention to detail, historical importance, and unparalleled beauty of this great work redefined the field of cartography in ways that have endured well into to the modern era. The cartographic works of the Blaeu firm are the crowning glory of the Dutch Golden Age of Cartography. The firm shut down in 1672 when their offices were destroyed during the Great Amsterdam Fire. The fire also destroyed nearly all of Blaeu's original printing plates and records, an incomparable loss to the history of cartography.
Blaeu, W., Atlas Major, (Amsterdam) Latin Edition, 1646.
The Theatrum Orbis Terrarum, sive, Atlas Novus, also published as the Atlas Major was first issued by Willem Jansz Blaeu and his son Joan Blaeu in 1635. The first edition contained about 207 seminal maps that ushered in a new golden age of Dutch cartography and established the distinctive flourishing highly decorative baroque Blaeu style. Most of the maps in this edition were closely based upon the earlier well established work of Jodocus Hondius, whose' map plates he had earlier acquired. The atlas continued to be published and republished in expanded and revised editions, reflecting the most up to date cartographic conventions and data derived from Dutch navigators and merchants then plying their trade throughout the world. Willem Blaeu died in 1638 and his son, Joan (Johannes), called teh Altas Major took over subsequent publications of the atlas. The final edition of the atlas, published from 1662 to 1672, consisted some 594 maps compiled into upwards of 9 volumes with some editions containing as many as 12 volumes. In 1672 a tragic fire destroyed the sprawling Blaeu workshop, then the largest cartographic publishing house in the world. Countless map plates were lost and the following the fire the Blaeu firm ceased production.
Very good. Latin text on verso. Very minor archival repair to outer margin. Margins are extremely large, often several inches. Does not effect printed image.
OCLC 220448699. Van der Krogt, P., Koeman's Atlantes Neerlandici, 7200:1C.2. Blaeu, Joan, Atlas Maior>, Taschen.