A fine 1867 map of Gaul or Gallia or France by William Hughes. The map covers Gallia during the ancient Roman times and covers from the English Channel south as far as the Pyrenees Mountains and Hispania. It includes the modern day nations of France, Luxembourg, Belgium, Switzerland and the Netherlands. It identifies several important cities and towns and uses ancient names throughout. The Roman provinces of Lugdunensis, Narbonensis, Aquitania and Belgica are also noted.
Gaul or Gallia was the ancient name of a region of Western Europe which comprises of modern day France, Luxembourg, Belgium, most of Switzerland and Germany west of the Rhine. After the Gallic Wars of 58-51 BC, all of Gaul came under the control of the Romans. It continued under Roman control for almost 500 years before it fell to the Franks in AD 486. The Gallic Wars are believed to have been fought primarily to provide Caesar with wealth and popularity and to boost his political career rather than being a defensive action as described by Caesar. The campaigns are described by Caesar in his book Commentarii de Bello Gallico.
This map was created by William Hughes, printed by J. Bien and engraved by G.E. Sherman, for issued as plate 6 in Sheldon and Company's An Atlas of Classical Geography.
William Hughes (c. 1818 - May 21, 1876) was a cartographer, engraver, lithographer, printer, and publisher active in London during the middle part of the 19th century. Hughes enjoyed and long and varied cartographic career. He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society in 1838 and, from about 1840, taught geography and mapmaking at St. Johns College for Civil Engineers. He later taught the same at both Queens College and Kings College, London. For a time he was employed as a map librarian for the British Museum. Hughes began engraving maps around 1839 and worked with most of the prominent British map and atlas publishers of his era, including but not limited to Charles Knight, A. and C. Black, George Philip, William Cassell, and others.
404 Not Found
The requested document was not found on this server.
Web Server at dev.geographicus.com
Sherman and Smith (fl. c. 1829 - 1855), sometimes working as Stiles, Sherman & Smith, were American engravers active in New York City during the middle part of the 19th century. The firm including John Calvin Smith (surveyor and engraver), George E. Sherman, and sometimes, Samuel Stiles. Their work primarily focused on government publications, including the maps and engravings prepared to illustrate the official records of the 1838-42 United States Exploring Expedition (U.S. Ex. Ex.), maps issued for the Army Corps of Topographical Engineers, and various U.S. Coast Survey Charts. They also engraved privately for Thomas Bradford and John Disturnell, among others. Sherman and Smith maintained offices at the corner of Broadway and Liberty Street in New York City and were highly regarded as the finest cartographic engravers in the city. Their non-cartographic legacies include George Inness, who apprenticed with them for two years before going on to become a well regarding American landscape painter of the Hudson River School.
Sheldon and Company, An Atlas of Classical Geography constructed by William Hughes and edited by George Long, (New York) 1867.
Very good. Minor wear and toning along original centerfold.