Regni Hungariae tabula generalis ex archetypo Mülleriano SCM capit. et ing.
18.5 x 22.25 in (46.99 x 56.515 cm)
1 : 1400000
This is Johann Baptist Homann's 1724 map of the Kingdom of Hungary, based on the comprehensive 1699 surveys of Johann Christoph Müller. These were undertaken to measure the bounds of Hungary following the Ottoman Empire's surrender at the treaty of Karlowitz. Consequently, this represented the new frontier with the Ottoman Empire following the treaty.
A Closer LookThe map embraces Hungary, Transylvania, Serbia, and Slavonia, with parts of Bosnia and Moldavia, now comprised of Hungary, parts of Croatia, Bosnia, Serbia and Romania, Slovakia, part of Czechia, and the eastern limits of Austria. Mountains, forests, and lowlands are shown pictorially. Important roads and some archaeological features are indicated.
Allegorical EngravingThe cartouche in the upper left is presented in a banner motif, suspended by a pair of eagles. A putto sits on a cloud in the foreground, supporting the arms of the Kingdom of Hungary. At the upper right, above the map's scales, is an equestrian vignette of three horsemen, one blowing a horn, with headgear suggesting they may be Turkish. They ride past stone buildings, and in the background a steeple is adorned with a crescent, indicating a Muslim town. Given that the map represents Europe's new borders with a retreating Ottoman Empire, the vignette may well represent the Ottomans fleeing their previously-held territory.
Publication History and CensusThis map's printing history is convoluted. We have identified at least two plates, and evidence that several of these were vigorously reworked over the course of the 18th century, either by Homann or his heirs. The first was engraved c. 1716, and it appeared in Homann Heirs atlases until 1778. A copy of this map, from a second plate, is dated 1724 by the Bibliothèque nationale de France. The present example appears to be an earlier state of the BnF's example, but lacking better data we are inclined to adopt this date. Homann's shop produced faithful copies of the map itself, but with variation in the execution of topography and lettering. The most obvious changes from each version can be traced in the face of the cartouche's putto, whose variations both of facial type and overall expression are extreme. The map appears to be well represented in institutional collections in its various iterations, but it is difficult to determine specific versions from catalog listings. It appears on the market from time to time.
Johann Baptist Homann (March 20, 1664 - July 1, 1724) was the most prominent and prolific map publisher of the 18th century. Homann was born in Oberkammlach, a small town near Kammlach, Bavaria, Germany. As a young man Homann studied in a Jesuit school and nursed ambitions of becoming a Dominican priest before converting to Protestantism in 1687. Following his conversion, Homann moved to Nuremberg and found employment as a notary. Around 1693, Homann briefly relocated to Vienna, where he lived and studied printing and copper plate engraving until 1695. Afterwards he returned to Nuremberg where, in 1702, he founded the commercial publishing firm that would bear his name. In the next five years Homann produced hundreds of maps and developed a distinctive style characterized by heavy detailed engraving, elaborate allegorical cartouche work, and vivid hand color. The Homann firm, due to the lower cost of printing in Germany, was able to undercut the dominant French and Dutch publishing houses while matching the diversity and quality of their output. By 1715 Homann's rising star caught the attention of the Holy Roman Emperor Charles VI, who appointed him Imperial Cartographer. In the same year he was also appointed a member of the Royal Academy of Sciences in Berlin. Homann's prestigious title came with a number of important advantages including access to the most up to date cartographic information as well as the 'Privilege'. The Privilege was a type of early copyright offered to very few by the Holy Roman Emperor. Though not as sophisticated as modern copyright legislation, the Privilege did offer a kind of limited protection for several years. Most all J. B. Homann maps printed between 1715 and 1730 bear the inscription 'Cum Priviligio' or some variation. Following Homann's death in 1724, the management of the firm passed to his son, Johann Christoph Homann (1703 - 1730). J. C. Homann, perhaps realizing that he would not long survive his father, stipulated in his will that the company would be inherited by his two head managers, Johann Georg Ebersberger (1695 - 1760) and Johann Michael Franz (1700 - 1761), and that it would publish only under the name 'Homann Heirs'. This designation, in various forms (Homannsche Heirs, Heritiers de Homann, Lat Homannianos Herod, Homannschen Erben, etc..) appears on maps from about 1731 onwards. The firm continued to publish maps in ever diminishing quantities until the death of its last owner, Christoph Franz Fembo (1781 - 1848). More by this mapmaker...
Johann Christoph Müller (March 15, 1673 - June 21, 1721) was a German cartographer, military engineer, and astronomer. Having been schooled in the humanities, he was then trained in mathematics and drawing by astronomer and engraver G. C. Eimmart. Beginning in 1696, he served as an officer of the Engineer Corps, carrying out astronomical observations in and around Vienna, and conducting surveys. Following the 1699 treaty of Karlowitz he was appointed to collect data for an accurate map of Hungarian territory. This resulted in a map drawn to 24 sheets, the original of which survives in the Cartographic Collection of the National Library in Vienna, with a complete copy in War Archives in Vienna. He would in 1709 produced a large map of Hungary along with Croatia, Slavonia, and Transylvania. Between 1708 and 1712 he surveyed Moravia by county and in 1720 published a four sheet copperplate map of Moravia, and produced a survey of Bohemia; this 25 sheet Mappa geographica Regni Bohemia was published posthumously in 1722. Learn More...
Homann, J. B. and J. C., Atlas Novus, (Nuremberg: Homann) c. 1724.
Very good. Toning at centerfold. Original wash and outline color.
OCLC 165806517. Not in Rumsey.