Kua Lakh to Kao Tao Islands Including The Delta of the Song Ka.
1926 (dated) 26.5 x 40 in (67.31 x 101.6 cm)
1 : 200000
This is a 1926 British Admiralty nautical chart or maritime map of northeastern Vietnam in the vicinity of Hanoi and Ha Long Bay. The map depicts the region from Hanoi to Thanh Lan Islands and from north of Cam Pha to Bach Long Vi Island. Although the South China Sea is currently a hotbed of international disputes between numerous countries, particularly with regard to territorial control over different islands and archipelagos, Bach Long Vi Island is not one of these islands. China gave Bach Long Vi to the city of Haiphong City in 1957, and it remains a district of Hai Phong to this day.
Highly detailed, myriad depth soundings are indicated throughout, with particular attention paid to Ha Long Bay and vicinity. The mouth of the Bach Dang River is also particularly well charted. Lights situated at the river's mouth are marked with yellow dots, allowing them to be easily spotted by anyone using the chart. Roads and railways are also illustrated. Two paste-downs, situated in the upper-right quadrant, highlight areas on the chart that underwent significant change at one point.
Census and Publication HistoryThis map was created by the British Admiralty, engraved by Edward Weller, and published in 1926. The first edition was published by the Admiralty on March 19, 1894, and several editions were published in the intervening years. No records of this chart are registered in the OCLC.
The British Admiralty Office (1795 - Present) or the United Kingdom Hydrographic Office refers to the Branch of the English government that is responsible for the command of the British Navy. In 1795 King George III created the United Kingdom Hydrographic Office, known in short as the U.K.H.O., to provide top notch nautical charts to the vast Royal Navy. Prior the founding of the Admiralty the surveying and creation of nautical charts was primarily a commercial venture wherein the cartographer himself, more of than not, actually financed the printing of his own material. The great navigator Cook himself is known to have scrambled for funds to publish his own seminal charts - the most important and advanced of the period. The system of privately funded nautical mapping and publishing left vast portions of the world uncharted and many excellent charts unpublished. King George III, responding significant loss in trade revenue related to shipwrecks and delay due to poor charts, recognized the need for an institutionalized government sponsored cartographic agency - the Admiralty. The first head of the Admiralty, a position known as Hydrographer, was the important cartographer Alexander Dalrymple. Dalrymple started by organizing and cataloging obtainable charts before initiating the laborious process of updating them and filling in the blanks. The first official Admiralty Chart appeared in 1800 and detailed Quiberon Bay in Brittany. By 1808 the position of Hydrographer fell to Captain Thomas Hurd. Hurd advocated the sale of Admiralty charts to the general public and, by the time he retired in 1829, had issued and published some 736 charts. Stewardship of the organization then passed to Rear Admiral Sir Francis Beaufort. It was under Beaufort's administration that the Admiralty truly developed as a "chart making" as opposed to a "chart cataloging" institution. Beaufort held his post from 1829 to 1854. In his 25 years at the Admiralty Beaufort created nearly 1500 new charts and sponsored countless surveying and scientific expeditions - including the 1831 to 1836 voyage of the H.M.S. Beagle. By 1855 the Admiralty's chart catalog listed some 1,981 charts.
Edward Weller (July 1, 1819 - 1884) was a cartographer and engraver based in London. Weller was a nephew of another well-known map publisher Sidney Hall, who gave him 50 Pounds to pay his apprenticeship fees. He engraved for many prominent mapmakers and was active enough in the community to be recommended for membership to the Royal Geographical Society in 1851 on the recommendation of John Arrowsmith, among others. He eventually inherited the Sidney Hall map business which led him to follow Arrowsmith as the unofficial geographer to the Royal Geographical Society. Weller was among the first map printers in London to embrace lithography. His best known work appears in Cassell's Weekly Dispatch Atlas, published in monthly segments for subscribers of the 'Weekly Dispatch' newspaper. This collection of maps eventually grew to include much of the known world. Published in various editions from 1855 through the early 1880s. Weller died in May of 1884, leaving behind a successful business and an unhappy widow. His son, Francis Sidney Weller, followed in his father's footsteps and continued the family map business.
Very good. Even overall toning. Light soiling. Blank on verso.