Map of Long Island, and the Southern Part of Connecticut.
22.5 x 52.5 in (57.15 x 133.35 cm)
1 : 158400
This is a grand, scarce, separately issued 1880 Colton map of Long Island, Long Island Sound, Southern Connecticut, and the New York City region. It is among the largest and most dramatic maps of Long Island produced in the 19th century. Colton's map covers the region from Pompton, New Jersey east to Fishers Island and Stonington, Connecticut; embracing the whole of Long Island. New York City, Westchester, and part of Staten Island are included as well.
Pocket Maps for the TravelerFrom Colton's earliest forays into the mapping of Long Island, he produced pocket format maps designed for stage travelers and for commuters on the rapidly developing Long Island Railroad (LIRR). The construction of the LIRR, in combination with the increasingly expensive and unsanitary conditions of Manhattan, spurred massive emigration to all parts of Long Island. Around 1862, recognizing the need for a large-scale high-quality map of Long Island, Colton redrew his rather small 'Traveler's Map' on a significantly larger and more dramatic scale, culminating in this map - which includes the LIRR lines to Port Jefferson and Greenport on the North Fork. The Hampton resort towns of Bridgehampton, Southampton, East Hampton, Amagansett, and Wainscott, all then sleepy fishing and farming communities, are well represented.
Rich Color and DetailThe map, embellished with its decorative border, is brightly colored to distinguish counties. As mentioned, roads and railroads are abundantly detailed. Also illustrated are canals, post offices, toll gates, and other useful features. Street grids are depicted in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Flushing, and Hoboken, reflecting the area's growing population. 'Fire Island Inlet,' and the Fire Island Lighthouse appear at the western end of the Great South Beach barrier island, part of which is now called Fire Island.
Publication History and CensusJ. H. Colton first issued this map in 1870 and continued to update it as Long Island developed until about 1887. There are also several Colton maps with the same title, although on a different scale with slightly different cartography - including a variant without a border. Despite a long and varied print run, this map is today quite scarce. We see seven likely examples in institutional collections: 1862, 1863, 1870, 1871, 1877, and 1883. We find no catalogued examples of this 1880 edition.
Joseph Hutchins Colton (July 5, 1800 - July 29, 1893), often publishing as J. H. Colton, was an important American map and atlas publisher active from 1833 to 1897. Colton's firm arose from humble beginnings when he moved to New York in 1831 and befriended the established engraver Samuel Stiles. He worked under Stiles as the 'Co.' in Stiles and Co. from 1833 to 1836. Colton quickly recognized an emerging market in railroad maps and immigrant guides. Not a cartographer or engraver himself, Colton's initial business practice mostly involved purchasing the copyrights of other cartographers, most notably David H. Burr, and reissuing them with updated engraving and border work. His first maps, produced in 1833, were based on earlier Burr maps and depicted New York State and New York City. Between 1833 and 1855 Colton would proceed to publish a large corpus of guidebooks and railroad maps which proved popular. In the early 1850s Colton brought his two sons, George Woolworth Colton (1827 - 1901) and Charles B. Colton (1832 - 1916), into the map business. G. W. Colton, trained as a cartographer and engraver, was particularly inspired by the idea of creating a large and detailed world atlas to compete established European firms for the U.S. market. In 1855, G.W. Colton issued volume one the impressive two volume Colton's Atlas of the World. Volume two followed a year later. Possibly because of the expense of purchasing a two-volume atlas set, the sales of the Atlas of the World did not meet Colton's expectations and so, in 1856, the firm also issued the atlas as a single volume. The maps contained in this superb work were all original engravings and most bear an 1855 copyright. All of the maps were surrounded by an attractive spiral motif border that would become a hallmark of Colton's atlas maps well into the 1880s. In 1857, the slightly smaller Colton's General Atlas replaced the Atlas of the World, which lacked the border. Most early editions of the General Atlas published from 1857 to 1859 do not have the trademark Colton spiral border, which was removed to allow the maps to fit into a smaller format volume. Their customers must have missed the border because it was reinstated in 1860 and remained in all subsequent publications of the atlas. There were also darker times ahead, in 1858 Colton was commissioned at sum of 25,000 USD by the government of Bolivia to produce and deliver 10,000 copies a large format map of that country. Although Colton completed the contract in good faith, delivering the maps at his own expense, he was never paid by Bolivia, which was at the time in the midst of a series national revolutions. Colton would spend the remainder of his days fighting with the Bolivian and Peruvian governments over this payment and in the end, after a congressional intervention, received as much as 100,000 USD in compensation. Nonetheless, at the time it must have been a disastrous blow. J. H. Colton and Company is listed as one of New York's failed companies in the postal record of 1859. It must have been this that led Colton into the arms of Alvin Jewett Johnson and Ross C. Browning. The 1859 edition of Colton's General Atlas lists Johnson and Browning as the 'Successor's to J. H. Colton' suggesting an outright buyout, but given that both companies continued to publish separately, the reality is likely more complex. Whatever the case may have been, this arrangement gave Johnson and Browning access to many of Colton's map plates and gave birth to Johnson's New Illustrated (Steel Plate) Family Atlas. The Johnson's Atlas was published parallel to Colton's atlas well in to the 1880s. The Colton firm itself subsequently published several other atlases including an Atlas of America, the Illustrated Cabinet Atlas, the Octavo Atlas of the Union, and Colton's Quarto Atlas of the World. They also published a large corpus of wall maps, pocket maps, and guides. The last known publications of the Colton firm date to 1897 and include a map and a view, both issued in association with the Merchant's Association of New York. Alice M. Colton married August R. Ohman (May 3, 1859 - April 22, 1934) on January 5, 1897. In 1898, Ohman joined the Colton firm, which continued to publish as Colton, Ohman & Co. until 1901. More by this mapmaker...
Very good. Glue staining at center where two panels joined. Some toning and wear on old fold lines. A few verso repairs to splits and fold intersections.
OCLC 85452310 (1883).