Map of the City of Milwaukee and Vicinity.
1909 (dated) 40 x 29.6 in (101.6 x 75.184 cm)
1 : 18000
A dramatic and scarce 1909 large scale map of Milwaukee, Wisconsin by the C. N. Caspar Company. The map extends from Wauwatosa to Lake Michigan and from North Milwaukee to St. Francis. City wards, schools, engine houses, railroads, street railways, block numbers, parks, roads are identified. Indexes in the upper left quadrant and blew the map roper detail streets, avenue, important places, and the electric car system. There are a number of inset maps including Whitefish Bay, Cudahy, and South Milwaukee. Red ink annotations highlight active and proposed railroads. Caspar and Company first issued the map in its present format in 1904. The present edition has been updated to 1909. It was compiled by G. Steinhagen, Civil Engineer and revised by Edward F. Leidel.
C. N. Caspar Company (fl. c. 1888 – 1939) was a Milwaukee, Wisconsin, based bookshop and publisher of maps, atlases, postcards, and touristic brochures. Most of their cartographic work is local in nature and focuses on Milwaukee and the immediate vicinity. C. N. Caspar himself was likely a German immigrant and the firm did considerable business in German language material. The retail outlet was called C. N. Caspar Company Book Emporium and located at 454 East Water St., Milwaukee.
Very good. Backed on archival tissue.