1836 (dated) 13.5 x 14.5 in (34.29 x 36.83 cm)
1 : 32400
This is an 1836 Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (S.D.U.K.) city map or plan of Moscow, Russia. The map depicts the city from the Vogankovskaia Novaia Zastava (one of the gates in the city walls) to the Lake of Khapilovkoi and from St. Catherine's Hospital to the St. Saviour's Temple. Highly detailed, the Kremlin is situated at the city center and St. Basil's Cathedral is labeled just outside. Myriad streets throughout the city are labeled, as are numerous hospitals, factories, barracks, and other structures. The Moscow River snakes is way through the city, curving past the Kremlin and the powder magazine. A view of the 'Church of the Assumption in the Kremlin', better known as Saint Basil's Cathedral, is situated in the upper left corner, while a view from the Sparrow Hill with the Novo-Devitchei Monastery in the foreground is included along the bottom border.
This map was created for the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge, engraved by Benjamin Rees Davies, and published by Baldwin and Cradock in 1836.
The "Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge" was a Whiggish organization founded in 1828 at the instigation of idealistic British lord Henry Peter Brougham. The admirable goal of the Society was to distribute useful information via a series of publications to the English working and middle classes. It promoted self-education and the egalitarian sharing of all knowledge. While closely tied to the London University and publishing houses on the order of Baldwin and Cradock, Chapman and Hall, and Charles Knight, the Society failed to achieve its many lofty goals in finally closed its doors in 1848. Most likely the failure of the Society resulted from its publications being too expensive for its intended lower to middle class markets and yet not large and fine enough to appeal to the aristocratic market. Nonetheless, it did manage to publish several extraordinary atlases of impressive detail and sophistication. Their most prominent atlas consisted of some 200 separately issued maps initially published by Baldwin and Cradock and sold by subscription from 1829 to 1844. Afterwards, the Society combined the maps into a single world atlas published under the Chapman and Hall imprint. In its day, this atlas was unprecedented in its quality, scope, and cost effectiveness. Today Society, or S.D.U.K. as it is commonly known, maps are among the most impressive examples of mid-19th century English mass market cartographic publishing available. The S.D.U.K. is especially known for its beautiful and accurately detailed city plans.
Benjamin Rees Davies (1789 - December 16, 1872) was an engraver, cartographer, painter, and map publisher active in the early to mid-19th century. Davies was born in Holborn, England, apprenticed as under John Lodge in 1803. He began publishing around 1811 and is known to have compiled many of own maps from original survey work. From approximately 1848 onward Davies published in conjunction with the Stanford Firm. He is also known to have engraved a number of maps for the Dispatch Atlas and the S.D.U.K. Davies was an early adopter of steel plate engraving and used the exceptional hardness of steel to create some of the most delicately engraved and beautifully produced maps of his era. He was quite famous in England for his detailed street plans of London, which he began publishing in 1848. Davies is known to have worked with numerous other cartographers of his period including French, Mexican, and American map makers. Many of his maps and plans continued to be published and updated posthumously well into the 1880s.
Baldwin and Cradock (fl. c. 1810 - 1860) were London based publishers working in the early to mid 19th century. They are best known for their publication of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge's ground breaking subscription atlas. They also published John Thomson's magnificent New General Atlas from 1814 - c. 1820. In addition to their cartographic corpus, the firm had wide ranging publishing interests in many other areas, including books, broadsides, and an investment in Blackwoods Magazine. They had their offices at 47 Paternoster Row, London, England. This firm also published under the imprint Baldwin, Cradock, and Joy and Cradock and Joy.
Very good. Light toning. Blank on verso.
Rumsey 0890.189. OCLC 234170953.