Map of the City of New Haven, from Surveys by R. Whiteford, Civil Engineer.
1852 (dated) 13 x 13.5 in (33.02 x 34.29 cm)
1 : 15800
A scarce small format pocket map of New Haven, Connecticut, by R. Whiteford. The map covers the city of New Haven and the adjacent Fair-Haven. It extends from East Rock to Oyster Point and from Evergreen Cemetery to the Quinnipiac River. The map identifies streets, important buildings, and some topography. Yale University, then Yale College, is noted and many of the college buildings rendered. A key in the lower right hand corner identifies 42 further buildings scattered throughout the city. This map is based upon original survey work compiled by R. Whiteford. It was probably a commercial publication derived from preliminary work on Whiteford's 1854 wall map of New Haven. Engraved and printed by Lemuel Swift Punderson. This map is quite scarce with the OCLC listing only 5 examples.
R. Whiteford (fl. c. 1849 – 1856) was a New Haven, Connecticut, based civil engineer and surveyor who was responsible for the 1852 map of the County of New Haven as well as for early town maps of New Haven and Middletown. Although he gives his address as New Haven on the 1852 map, he does not appear in the New Haven city directories. According to Tooley's Dictionary of Mapmakers, Whiteford also contributed to an 1849 map of Burlington County, New Jersey in partnership with J. W. Otley.
Lemuel Swift Punderson (18?? – c. 1903) was a New York City and New Haven, Connecticut, based engraver, author, and publisher. The earliest records suggest Punderson worked in New York from about 1850 to 1855. In 1855 he relocated to New Haven, Connecticut, where he established his own engraving business. A map of New Haven by Punderson dating to 1852, suggest that he had close ties to New Haven even before he relocated there. In 1860 he partnered with Emil Crisand to found Punderson and Crisand, Engravers, Lithographers, and Printers. Punderson also had an interest in antiquities and co-authored the book History of the Antiquities of new Haven, published in 1870. His manuscripts are currently held by the Serling Memorial Library, Yale University, as the 'Lemuel Swift Punderson Papers.'
Average. Map exhibits soiling and repaired loss at fold intersections where originally attached to binder. Removed from but accompanied by original binder. Large repaired tear along bottom of map.
New Haven Museum and Historical Society, Map G3784.N4W446 1852. OCLC 3697348.