1876 Hills-Disturnell City Map or Plan of New York City

NewYork-disturnell-1876
$375.00
City of New York. Surveyed by J. Hills, 1782. Re-Published by J. Disturnell. 1876.
Processing...

1876 Hills-Disturnell City Map or Plan of New York City

NewYork-disturnell-1876

An interesting 1876 reprint of a 1782 map of Manhattan.

SOLD. Call for off-line availability

Title


City of New York. Surveyed by J. Hills, 1782. Re-Published by J. Disturnell. 1876.
  1876 (dated)    12.75 x 12 in (32.385 x 30.48 cm)     1 : 12000

Description


This is an 1876 John Disturnell republication of a 1782 J. Hills city map or plan of New York City. The map depicts the lower half of Manhattan and a small part of Long Island, including Brooklyn. Most of Manhattan is undeveloped. Streets are labeled from the Battery to Chambers Street and along Bowery from Bayard Street to Hester Street. The Bowery then turns into the 'Road to Boston', along which there are a few settlements, including the residence of Mr. Bayard. In New York proper, numerous streets are labeled, with Broadway dominating the pseudo-grid. Wall Street, Broad Street, and Cortland Street are among the labeled streets, and Trinity Church and Bowling Green are also labeled. 'The College' (i.e. King's College), today's Columbia University, is also labeled. Greenwich Lane runs along the Hudson River side of Manhattan, along which Mr. Lispenard's residence is located a short distance north of the city. Twenty-five locations are identified alphabetically, and the corresponding list is situated in the lower right corner. A note below the list informs the viewer that the darkly shaded areas in lower Manhattan were burned in 1776 and 1778.

This map was drawn by J. Calvin Smith, printed by Snyder and Black, and published by John Disturnell in 1876.

CartographerS


John Disturnell (1801-1877) was a New York book and map publisher operating gin the early to middle 19th century. Disturnell worked with various engravers and cartographers over the years including Calvin Smith, J. H. Young, and G. E. Sherman as well as the Ensign, Bridgeman and Fanning group. His primary focus seems to have been New York and vicinity, however, his most significant contribution to U.S. history came from the opposite side of the continent. When Nicholas P. Trist was sent to Mexico to negotiate the 1847 Treaty of Guadeloupe Hidalgo which defined the Mexican-American border at the end of the Mexican-American War, he carried with him Disturnell's Map of America. This map, among other inaccuracies, located El Paso a whopping 34 miles north and 100 miles east of its true location. Since Trist based the border treaty on mileages from El Paso, the obvious subsequent confusion lead to the conflicts that were to follow. The border problems between the United States and Mexico that resulted from this error were not resolved until 1963.


John Calvin Smith (1809 – June 11, 1890) was an American surveyor and geographer active in New York during the middle part of the 19th century. He was a charter member of the American Geographical and Statistical Society (American Geographical Society). He worked with other important New York cartographers including John Disturnell, George Sherman, and Samuel Stiles, with whom he often published under the Stiles, Sherman & Smith imprint. Stiles may have introduced Smith to J. H. Colton, who acquired many of his map plates in 1853. Despite being an important and prolific cartographer, much of his personal life and history are shrouded in mystery.


Snyder and Black (1845 - c.1968) was a publishing firm based in New York City. It began publishing maps as early as 1845 from their offices at 87 Fulton Street. By 1876, the company had moved its operations to 92 William Street in New York, and would later buy a building at 200 William Street. The New York Department of Commerce honored Snyder and Black in 1952 along with over 250 other companies that had been in New York since their founding. Snyder and Black was mentioned often in the New York Times Advertising column as a point-of-sale specialist between 1947 and 1968. By March 1960, however, the company is referred to by the New York Times in that same Advertising column as Snyder and Black and Schlegel.

Condition


Very good. Closed minor margin tears professionally repaired on verso. Light wear and toning along original fold lines. Blank on verso.