The Complete Map of New York Manhattan and Southwestern Bronx.
1940 (undated) 36 x 18 in (91.44 x 45.72 cm)
1 : 22000
This is an excellent map of New York City by Alexander Gross dating to c.1940. The map covers the northern portions of the borough of Manhattan from 102nd Street to Inwood. The southwest portion of Bronx is also covered southward from Van Cortlandt Park. Randall’s Island, Ward’s Island and Sunken Meadow are noted as separate land masses.
In 1855, the city of New York would acquire the two islands and the Sunken Meadow marsh which would eventually become one single Island. The map offers extraordinary detail throughout, noting the IRT (Interborough Rapid Transit Company) subway lines, the BMT (Brooklyn-Manhattan Transit Corporation) subway lines, elevated lines, Independent subway lines, ferry lines, bus lines and stations. Parks, streets and important buildings are also identified.
At the time this map was published, New York had earned the reputation of being the most urbanized city in the world. As the world's first megalopolis, New York witnessed large-scale development in its infrastructure even during the Depression era. In fact, some of the New York's tallest skyscrapers and art deco buildings were built during this period.
This map was published under the direction of Alexander Gross and published by the Geographia Map Co.
Geographia, Ltd. was a London based cartographic publishing firm active from about 1910 until about 1985. The company was founded by Alexander Gross (1879-1958), a Hungarian immigrant to the United Kingdom. Geographia is best known for its folding pocket maps and globes. Later in the early 20th century, Geographia expanded with offices in New York at 11 John Street and issued a large corpus of U.S. focused maps and city plans. In the later part of the 1980s the firm was bought out by Harper Collins and continues to produces maps under the Collins Bartholomew imprint.
Very good. Minor wear along original fold lines.