Praefectuae Paranambuae pars Meridionalis.
1721 (undated) 17.5 x 18.5 in (44.45 x 46.99 cm)
1 : 440000
This is a scarce c.1721 Covens and Mortier edition of the map of the southeastern coast of Brazil. Oriented with north to the right, it covers the interior from around the Sao Paulo region south along the coast of Brazil from Rio Gujaraigacu to Rio de San Francisco. Earlier maps of the region were drawn from information based on Portuguese research. This important map is the first to focus on Dutch rather than Portuguese interests. The map is superbly detailed, with topography beautifully rendered. In the Atlantic we can see several sailing ships, a sea monster and a boat. A decorative title cartouche appears in the top right quadrant. Below the title appears an illustration based on the design by Frans Post. It features a fishing scene with a lookout tower with people below pulling in a net.
This map is based on the original map by Georg Marcgraf, cartographer to Count Johan Maurits who was the Governor General of Brazil for the Dutch West India Company from 1637 to 1644. Maurits account on the climate, religion, language, inhabitants, flora and fauna of coastal Brazil was issued in Casper Barlaeus’ Rerum per octennium in Brasilia, first published by Bleau in 1647. Bleau later included this map in his Atlas Maior in 1662. This is the Covens and Mortier edition of the Bleau map.
The Amsterdam publishing firm of Covens and Mortier (1721 - c. 1862) was the successor to the extensive publishing empire built by Frenchman Pierre Mortier (1661 - 1711). Upon Mortier's death in 1711 his firm was taken over by his son, Cornelius Mortier (1699 - 1783). Cornelius married the sister of Johannes Covens (1697 - 1774) in 1821 and, partnering with his brother in law, established the Covens and Mortier firm. Under the Covens and Mortier imprint, Cornelius and Pierre republished the works of the great 17th and early 18th century Dutch and French cartographers De L'Isle, Allard, Jansson, De Wit, and Ottens among others. They quickly became one of the largest and most prolific Dutch publishing concerns of the 18th century. The firm and its successors published thousands of maps over a 120 year period from 1721 to the mid-1800s. During their long lifespan the Covens and Mortier firm published as Covens and Mortier (1721-1778), J. Covens and Son (1778 - 94) and Mortier, Covens and Son (1794 - c. 1862).
Very good. Minor wear along original centerfold. Minor spotting. Original platemark visible.