This item has been sold, but you can get on the Waitlist to be notified if another example becomes available, or purchase a digital scan.

1862 Arrowsmith Case Map of the Philippines (Philippine Islands)

Chart of the Philippine Islands, from the Spanish Chart, witht Adjacent Islands. - Main View

1862 Arrowsmith Case Map of the Philippines (Philippine Islands)


Extremely rare English map of the Philippines.


Chart of the Philippine Islands, from the Spanish Chart, witht Adjacent Islands.
  1862 (dated)     40.5 x 27 in (102.87 x 68.58 cm)     1 : 1600000


An attractive example of Aaron Arrowsmith's scarce 1862 map of the Philippine Islands (Philippines). Centered on Manila, Arrowsmith's map covers the entirety of the Philippine Islands from northern Luzon to the southern tip of Mindano. An inset in the upper left offers a detailed chart of Manila Bay according to Spanish surveys of 1819. Arrowsmith based this map upon the 1854 survey of Commander Bate, as well as the landmark 1841 - 1851 work of the Spanish cartographers Coello and Morata. It represents the most updated cartography of the Philippines available at the time. One's attention must be immediately be drawn to the interior, which even as this map was made in the mid-1800s, was little known.

The map is inscribed to Aaron Arrowsmith who initially published a variant in 1812. It subsequently went through several updates and revisions, most likely some by A. Arrowsmith's son of the same name. A secondary inscription under the title is obscured, but is that of Richard Holmes Laurie, son of Robert Laurie, who is responsible for the most recent updates. The map folds into a slipcase bearing the bookplate and imprint of James Wyld. This is doubtless James Wyld the younger, who published maps well into the 1880s. Wyld most likely had no hand in the production of this map, but rather simply sold it through his retail location.

We should note that all editions of this map are exceedingly scarce, but the first edition is the most common. We have found only one example of this updated edition in the archives of the Royal Maritime Museum, Greenwich, England.


Aaron Arrowsmith (1750-1823), John Arrowsmith (1790-1873), and Samuel Arrowsmith. The Arrowsmith family were noted map engravers, publishers, geographers, and cartographers active in the late 18th and early 19th century. The Arrowsmith firm was founded by Aaron Arrowsmith, who was trained in surveying and engraving under John Cary and William Faden. Arrowsmith founded the Arrowsmith firm as a side business while employed by Cary. The firm specialized in large format individual issue maps containing the most up to date and sophisticated information available. Arrowsmith's work drew the attention of the Prince of Wales who, in 1810, named him Hydrographer to the Prince of Wales, and subsequently, in 1820, Hydrographer to the King. Aaron Arrowsmith was succeeded by two sons, Aaron and Samuel, who followed him in the map publication business. The Arrowsmith firm eventually fell to John Arrowsmith (1790-1873), nephew of the elder Aaron. John was a founding member of the Royal Geographical Society. The firm is best known for their phenomenal large format mappings of North America. Mount Arrowsmith, situated east of Port Alberni on Vancouver Island, British Columbia, is named for Aaron Arrowsmith and his nephew John Arrowsmith. More by this mapmaker...

James Wyld I (1790 - 1836) and his son James Wyld II (November 20, 1812 - 1887) were the principles of English mapmaking dynasty active in London during much of the 19th century. The elder Wyld was a map publisher under William Faden and did considerable work on the Ordinance Survey. On Faden's retirement, Wyld took over Faden's workshop acquiring many of his plates. Wyld's work can often be distinguished from his son's maps through his imprint, which he signed as 'Successor to Faden'. Following in his father's footsteps the younger Wyld joined the Royal Geographical Society in 1830 at the tender age of 18. When his father died in 1836, James Wyld II was prepared to fully take over and expand his father's considerable cartographic enterprise. Like his father and Faden, Wyld II held the title of official Geographer to the Crown, in this case, Queen Victoria. In 1852, he moved operations from William Faden's old office at Charing Cross East (1837 - 1852) to a new larger space at 475 Strand. Wyld II also chose to remove Faden's name from all of his updated map plates. Wyld II continued to update and republish both his father's work and the work of William Faden well into the late 1880s. One of Wyld's most eccentric and notable achievements is his 1851 construction of a globe 19 meters (60 feet) in diameter in the heart of Leicester Square, London. In the 1840s Wyld also embarked upon a political career, being elected to parliament in 1847 and again in 1857. He died in 1887 following a prolific and distinguished career. After Wyld II's death, the family business was briefly taken over by James John Cooper Wyld (1844 - 1907), his son, who ran it from 1887 to 1893 before selling the business to Edward Stanford. All three Wylds are notable for producing, in addition to their atlas maps, short run maps expounding upon important historical events - illustrating history as it was happening - among them are maps related to the California Gold Rush, the New South Wales Gold Rush, the Scramble for Africa, the Oregon Question, and more. Learn More...


Very good. Minor transference. Some minor damage to imprint under title. Dissected and laid down on linen. Folds into original linen slipcase the J. Wyld stamp.


National Maritime Museum, Greenwich, London, WSK271:6/21.