Etat de la Seigneurie et Republique de Venise avec l'Evêché de Trente. Par le Sr. Robert de Vaugondy, fils de M. Robert Geog. ord. du Roi.
1749 (dated) 6.5 x 15 in (16.51 x 38.1 cm)
1 : 1150000
This is a hand colored 1749 Didier Robert de Vaugondy map of the Republic of Venice in Italy. The map depicts the Republic of Venice following the War of Austrian Succession and stretches from the border with the Duchy of Milan to Istria on the Adriatic and from the border between Venetian land and Tyrol and the Gulf of Venice.
The Republic of Venice prospered and became a thalassocracy, or sea-going empire. Venice's rise began due to the salt trade. They became an economic and trading power during the Middle Ages and the Renaissance. At its height, Venice was renowned for its powerful navy and its endless merchant fleet. The Venetian navy was employed during several of the Crusades, including the infamous Fourth Crusade.
Myriad cities and towns are labeled, including Venice (Venetia), Verona, Padua, and Trieste. Innumerable rivers are depicted throughout the map, as well as mountain ranges and forests in profile.
This map was published by Gilles Robert de Vaugondy in his Atlas Universel, Portatif et Militaire in the 1749 edition.
Gilles (1688 - 1766) and Didier (c. 1723 - 1786) Robert de Vaugondy were map publishers, engravers, and cartographers active in Paris during the mid-18th century. The father and son team were the inheritors to the important Sanson cartographic firm whose stock supplied much of their initial material. Graduating from Sanson's map's Gilles, and more particularly Didier, began to produce their own substantial corpus of work. Vaugondys were well respected for the detail and accuracy of their maps in which they made excellent use of the considerable resources available in 18th century Paris to produce the most accurate and fantasy-free maps possible. The Vaugondys compiled each map based upon their own superior geographic knowledge, scholarly research, the journals of contemporary explorers and missionaries, and direct astronomical observation - moreover, unlike many cartographers of this period, they commonly took pains to reference their source material. Nevertheless, even in 18th century Paris geographical knowledge was severely limited - especially regarding those unexplored portions of the world, including the poles, the Pacific northwest of America, and the interior of Africa and South America. In these areas the Vaugondys, like their rivals De L'Isle and Buache, must be considered speculative geographers. Speculative geography was a genre of mapmaking that evolved in Europe, particularly Paris, in the middle to late 18th century. Cartographers in this genre would fill in unknown areas on their maps with speculations based upon their vast knowledge of cartography, personal geographical theories, and often dubious primary source material gathered by explorers and navigators. This approach, which attempted to use the known to validate the unknown, naturally engendered many rivalries. Vaugondy's feuds with other cartographers, most specifically Phillipe Buache, resulted in numerous conflicting papers being presented before the Academie des Sciences, of which both were members. The era of speculatively cartography effectively ended with the late 18th century explorations of Captain Cook, Jean Francois de Galaup de La Perouse, and George Vancouver.
Guillaume Delahaye (1725 - 1802) was the most prolific member of the Delahaye (De-La-Haye) family of engravers active in Paris throughout the 18th century. The Delahaye family engraved for many of the great cartographers of 18th century Paris, including D'Anville and Vaugondy. Guillaume also worked with foreign cartographers such as Tomas Lopez of Madrid. Possibly Delahaye's most significant map is A Map of the Country between Albemarle Sound and Lake Erie prepared for the memoires of Thomas Jefferson. Delahaye was succeeded by his daughter, E. Haussard.
Robert de Vaugondy, G. Atlas Portatif, Universel, et Militaire (Paris: Vaugondy, Durand, Pissot) 1749.
Very good. Blank on verso. Original press mark visible. Slight loss to lower margin.
Pedley, M. S., Bel et Utile, p. 190, 346. OCLC 780757221.