An attractive map of Scotland by George Frederick Cruchley dated to 1850. It covers Scotland from the Orkney Islands to Wigton in the south, including the Hebrides or Western Isles. The Shetland and Orkney Islands are detailed in an inset in the lower left quadrant of the map.
This map was issued in the midst of Scotland's Industrial Revolution, in which it emerged as a regional center for engineering and shipbuilding. In 1843, against the backdrop of the Industrial Revolution, during which Scotland flourished, the Church of Scotland witnessed a division in which many of its ministers, following a decade long conflict, broke away to form the Free Church of Scotland. Cruchles has color coded the map according to provinces and identifies important towns, cities, rivers, mountains and an assortment of other topographical features. Relief is shown by hachure.
Cruchley's General Atlas was unique for its period, employing a vivid color scheme extending even to the oceans, distinctive typography, and various uncommon decorative elements including a peacock feather crown and an imprint medallion, both of which break the printed border. Though many of the maps in this atlas are copyrighted in 1841, the atlas was first published in 1843 from the Cruchley office at 81 Fleet Street, London, and proving popular went through numerous reissues well into the 1850s.
George Frederick Cruchley (April 23, 1797 - June 16, 1880) was a London based book and map seller active in the middle part of the 19th century. Cruchley began his cartographic career as an apprentice at the venerable Aaroon Arrowsmith firm. Many of Cruchley's earliest maps bear the words 'From Arrowsmith's' on the imprint. In 1844, Cruchley acquired the massive stock of the important early 19th century firm of John Cary. Cruchley published his own maps as well as reissues of Cary's stock well into the 1870s. He is best known for his detailed plans of London, which in recent years have become increasingly scarce and desirable. Cruchley was based in London on 38 Ludgate Street until 1834 when he moved his offices to 81 Fleet Street. Shortly before his death in 1880 Cruchely auctioned (Hodgson's Auctions, Jan 16, 1877) his entire stock. Many of his map plates were thusly acquired by 'Gall and Inglis' who continued the Cruchley tradition well into the early 20th century. Cruchley's son, also George Frederick (1837 - 1882), continued to work as a book and map seller until his death. Learn More...
Cruchley, G. F., Selection of Maps from Cruchley's General Atlas, for the use of Schools and Private Tuition, London, 1850.
Very good. Minor wear and some toning over original centerfold. Blank on verso.