1854 Pharoah Map or Plan of the City of Secunderabad, Telangana, India

Secunderabad-pharoah-1854
$450.00
Plan of Secunderabad.
Processing...

1854 Pharoah Map or Plan of the City of Secunderabad, Telangana, India

Secunderabad-pharoah-1854

Pharoah map of Secunderabad, the twin city of Hyderabad.

SOLD. Call for off-line availability

Title


Plan of Secunderabad.
  1854 (undated)    18 x 15.5 in (45.72 x 39.37 cm)     1 : 14400

Description


This is a beautiful 1854 map or plan of Secunderabad located in the Indian state of Telangana. It covers the British cantonment in beautiful detail, noting streets, bazaar, military grounds, tanks, fields, streams, and topography. Extends from the Hussain Sagar Lake north to Bowenpally. The map includes six specific areas and a reference key along the right border lists the locations noted in each area. These include hospitals, burial grounds, military offices, cathedrals, cells, etc.

Separated from Hyderabad by the man made Hussain Sagar Lake, Secundarabad is often referred to as the twin city of Hyderabad. Founded as a British cantonment in 1806, the city developed directly under British rule until India’s independence. Today Secunderabad is part of the city of Hyderabad and continues to be one of the largest cantonments in India, with a large presence of army and air force personnel.

This map was engraved by J. and C. Walker and issued as plate no. 52 by Pharoah and Company in their 1854 Atlas of Southern India.

CartographerS


J. B. Pharoah (fl. c. 1838 – 1869) was a Madras, India, based bookseller and publisher of educational books and map active in the middle of the 19th century. He maintained a bookshop on Mount Road. The form was a general emporium for European published work. They also published a weekly English language newspaper called The Athenaeum and Statesman (in 1864 renamed, he Athenaeum and Daily News). They also published the The Madras Quarterly Medical Journal and The Madras Journal of Literature and Science. Little more is known of Pharoah.


John Walker, Alexander Walker and Charles Walker, known collectively as J & C Walker (fl. 1820-95), were engravers, draughtsmen and publishers working through the 19th century. They had several offices 47 Bernard St Russel Sq (from 1830 - 1836), 3 Burleigh St Strand (from 1837 to 1840), 9 Castle St Holborn (from 1841 to 1847) and 37 Castle St Holborn (from 1848 to 1875). The firm is best known for its work in conjunction with the maps issued by the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge or, as it is more commonly known, the S.D.U.K. However, they also engraved a large corpus of work for the British Admiralty , as well as issuing several important maps of India and multiple issues of the Royal Atlas.

Source


Pharoah and Company, An Atlas of the Southern Part of India including Plans of all the Principal Towns and Cantonments, reduced from the Grand Trigonometrical Survey of India shewing also The Tenasserim Provinces, (Madras) 1854.     The Pharoah and Company Atlas of Southern India was published around 1854. The medium format 4to atlas contained some 70 maps focusing on the southern part of Indian and the Tanasserium Province, or Burma. The atlas was engraved an printed in London by J. and C. Walker, but seems to have been issued only in Madras, India, by J. B. Pharoah and Company. The atlas claims to have been "reduced from the Grand Trigonometrical Survey of India," and, in fact the survey did provide a framework for the atlas, but little of the actual cartographic detail. The atlas is rather novel in that it has universal scale of 16 miles to the inch (1 : 1013760) for most of its regional maps. In addition to its regional maps, the atlas also contained 21city plans. These plans are some of the only obtainable mid-195h century maps of many South Indian cities. It also contained a rare map of Singapore.

Condition


Very good. Minor foxing. Minor wear along original fold line.

References


OCLC: 712141709.