This is a beautiful 1867 map by William Hughes depicting Sicily, Syracuse and important ports in Italy during the Roman period. Essentially four maps on the single sheet, the largest map of Sicily depicts the island during ancient Roman Times. The map notes several towns and cities and uses both contemporary and ancient names - an invaluable resource for scholars of antiquity.
The map of Syracuse, an important port city and the capital of the Roman government in Sicily is highly detailed and notes important sites with a key included in the lower left quadrant. The ancient walls surrounding the city are also shown. The third map depicts the Bay of Naples and part of Campania. This map also notes important roads, cities and towns that existed during the time, including Pompeii and Herculaneum. Mount Vesuvius, whose violent eruption in 79 AD buried and destroyed the two cities, is identified. The fourth map details the two ports of Brindisi or Brundusium, one of the most important Italian cities during the Roman Era.
This map was created by William Hughes, printed by J. Bien and engraved by G.E. Sherman, for issued as plates 12 and 13 in Sheldon and Company's An Atlas of Classical Geography.
William Hughes (c. 1818 - May 21, 1876) was a cartographer, engraver, lithographer, printer, and publisher active in London during the middle part of the 19th century. Hughes enjoyed and long and varied cartographic career. He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society in 1838 and, from about 1840, taught geography and mapmaking at St. Johns College for Civil Engineers. He later taught the same at both Queens College and Kings College, London. For a time he was employed as a map librarian for the British Museum. Hughes began engraving maps around 1839 and worked with most of the prominent British map and atlas publishers of his era, including but not limited to Charles Knight, A. and C. Black, George Philip, William Cassell, and others. Learn More...
404 Not Found
The requested document was not found on this server.
Web Server at dev.geographicus.com
Sherman and Smith (fl. c. 1829 - 1855), sometimes working as Stiles, Sherman & Smith, were American engravers active in New York City during the middle part of the 19th century. The firm including John Calvin Smith (surveyor and engraver), George E. Sherman, and sometimes, Samuel Stiles. Their work primarily focused on government publications, including the maps and engravings prepared to illustrate the official records of the 1838-42 United States Exploring Expedition (U.S. Ex. Ex.), maps issued for the Army Corps of Topographical Engineers, and various U.S. Coast Survey Charts. They also engraved privately for Thomas Bradford and John Disturnell, among others. Sherman and Smith maintained offices at the corner of Broadway and Liberty Street in New York City and were highly regarded as the finest cartographic engravers in the city. Their non-cartographic legacies include George Inness, who apprenticed with them for two years before going on to become a well regarding American landscape painter of the Hudson River School. Learn More...
Sheldon and Company, An Atlas of Classical Geography constructed by William Hughes and edited by George Long, (New York) 1867.
Very good. Minor wear and toning along original centerfold.