Sumatrae et Insularum Locorum que Nonnull Orum Circumiacentium Tabula Noua.
1710 (undated) 17 x 21 in (43.18 x 53.34 cm)
1 : 3000000
A stunning full color map c. 1710 map of Sumatra, Malay, the straits of Malacca, and Singapore by Gerard Valk and Petrus Schenk under the imprint of Valk and Schenk. The map is oriented to the east with north facing left. While the map focuses on Sumatra, then an important stop on the Dutch dominated Pepper Trade, it also includes much of the surrounding region, including the important Straits of Malacca and southern Malay peninsula, and the straits of Singapore, here identified as 'Nieuwe Straet.' Singapore Island does not appear as such, but a peninsula south of Johore is identified as 'Senasur,' clearly a precursor of 'Singapore.' The Strait of Malacca is clearly mapped with shallow areas noted. A number of important locals on the west coast of Malay, including Malacca and Jahore (Ihor) are noted. On Sumatra numerous points along the southwest coast are mapped but h only city identified is Aceh (Atchem).
Around this time there was a great deal of interest in this region in the Netherlands. The VOC seized control of Malacca from the Portuguese in 1644 with an eye on Malay's rich tin deposits. The tin region was under the control of the Sultan of Aceh who was unfriendly to the Dutch. In 1650, the Dutch made an alliance with Johor in an attempt to disrupt shipping in the Straits of Malacca.
Like most maps by Valk and Schenk, this map is derived from either Joan Blaeu or Jan Jansson. Since both cartographers often issued near identical work it is hard to know who originated the cartography. Nonetheless, Valk and Schenk maps are derived from the Jansson plates, which the partners acquired in 1694.
Gerard Valk (September 30, 1652 - October 21, 1726) was a Dutch engraver, globe maker, and map publisher active in Amsterdam in the latter half of the 17th century. He studied mathematics, navigation, and cartographer under Pieter Maasz Smit. He later worked in London for the map sellers Christopher Browne and David Loggan. In 1687 he established his own firm in Amsterdam in partnership with Petrus (Pieter) Schenk, who married his sister in the same year. They published under the imprint of Valk and Schenk. Initially they published maps and atlas, acquiring the map plates of Jodocus Hondius in 1794. Later, in 1701 they moved into the from Hondius offices where they began producing globes. Valk and Schenk quickly became known for producing the best globes in the Netherlands, a business on which they held a near monopoly for nearly 50 years. He joined the bookseller's guide in 1711. Around the same time Gerard introduced his son, Leonard, to the business. Leonard was nowhere near as sophisticated a cartographer as his father and ultimately, through neglect, lost much the firm's prestige. After his death the firm was taken over by his widow Maria.
Petrus Schenk (Pieter Schenck) the Elder (December 26 1660 - 1711) was a Dutch engraver, globe maker, and map publisher active in Amsterdam and Leipzig in the latter half of the 17th century. Schenk, was born in Elberfield, Germany. He moved in Amsterdam in 1675, becoming the apprentice to Gerard Valk (Valck). In 1687, Schenk married Agatha Valk, Gerard Valk's sister and went into partnership with his brother-in-law under the imprint of 'Valk and Schenk'. Initially they focused on maps and atlases, acquiring the map plates of Jan Jansson and Jodocus Hondius in 1694. Later, in 1701 they moved into the former Hondius offices where they began producing globes. Valk and Schenk quickly became known for producing the best globes in the Netherlands, a business on which they held a near monopoly for nearly 50 years. Schenk's three sons, Pieter Schenk the Younger, Jan Schenk, and Leonard Schenk, all became engravers in their own right. Pieter Schenk the Younger inherited the business and ran his father's shop in Leipzig. His daughter, Maria Schenk, married Leonard Valk, the son of Gerard Valk, and continued to run the Valk and Schenk map engraving workshop in Amsterdam.
Jan Jansson or Johannes Janssonius (1588 - 1664) was born in Arnhem, Holland. He was the son of a printer and bookseller and in 1612 married into the cartographically prominent Hondius family. Following his marriage he moved to Amsterdam where he worked as a book publisher. It was not until 1616 that Jansson produced his first maps, most of which were heavily influenced by Blaeu. In the mid 1630s Jansson partnered with his brother-in-law, Henricus Hondius, to produce his important work, the eleven volume Atlas Major. About this time, Jansson's name also begins to appear on Hondius reissues of notable Mercator/Hondius atlases. Jansson's last major work was his issue of the 1646 full edition of Jansson's English Country Maps. Following Jansson's death in 1664 the company was taken over by Jansson's brother-in-law Waesberg.
Very good. Original centerfold. Wide original margins. Platemark visible. Old Color. Blank on verso.
Van der Krogt, P. (Atlantes) 8530:1. OCLC 36189613. Suárez, T., Early Mapping of Southeast Asia, p. 207.