This is a 1939 George Cram map of Texas. Providing an incredibly detailed look at the state on the eve of World War II, highways, illustrated by thick red lines, snake their way into almost every part of Texas. Roads of lesser grades, gravel and stone roads for example, are also marked, as are unimproved roads, which the key states are only good in dry weather. Federal and state highways are identified, with the Federal shield used for Federal highways and circles used for state highways. Cities and towns all across the state are labeled, and counties are outlined in blue and named with big block lettering. An inset of extreme western Texas, from El Paso to Reeves and Brewster Counties, is situated in the lower left corner. A photograph of the Texas State Capital Building in Austin is included in the upper right corner and is accompanied by a description of the Capital building.
Publication HistoryThis map was created and published by the George F. Cram Company in 1939.
George Franklin Cram (May 20, 1842 - 1928) was an American map publisher active in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. During the American Civil War, Cram served as a staff cartographer for the Union General Ulysses S. Grant and participated in Sherman's 'March to the Sea'. In 1867, after being discharged from the army George Cram moved to Chicago, where he founded 'Blanchard and Cram' with his uncle Rufus Blanchard Evanston. Blanchard and Cram was a supply house for the book trade - though he also published a few maps during this period. This short lived business was destroyed in the 1871 by Great Chicago Fire. After the fine, recognizing a business opportunity in the burgeoning railroad industry, Cram reinvented himself as cartographic publisher, opening the Cram Map Depot. Like fellow Chicago publisher Rand McNally, Cram took advantage of economical wax engraving processes to inexpensively produce maps in vast quantities. His signature publication, the Unrivaled Atlas of the World became the world's best -selling atlas and was published from the 1880s to 1952. On retiring in 1821 Cram sold his company to E. A. Peterson of the National Map Company (Scarborough Company). Peterson moved the company to Indianapolis where, following Cram's death, he rebranded the National Map Company as the George F. Cram Company, surely thinking to capitalize on the established identity of the firm. In 1930 he entered the globe market for which the firm was best known from the mid-20th century. In time the firm expanded globally passing becoming a major concern. By 2012, however, they were out of business. Learn More...
Very good. Light wear and toning along original fold lines. Light soiling. Closed margin tear professionally repaired on verso. Exhibits crackling. Blank on verso.