Carte nouvelle De L'Isle de Cadix et du Detroit de Gibraltar.
1730 (undated) 23 x 19.5 in (58.42 x 49.53 cm)
1 : 495000
This is a 1730 Jean de Petit and Homann Heirs map of the Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz. The map depicts the region from the Atlantic Ocean to the Alboran Sea (the westernmost part of the Mediterranean Sea) and from Spain and Gibraltar to Morocco. A beautifully engraved piece, numerous cities, towns, and villages are labeled throughout Spain, including Cadiz, Malaga, and Tangier. Farmland is illustrated in both countries as well, with each plot of land exhibiting rows of crops and encircled by trees. Roads connect the cities and towns, while mountains and trees populate the countryside. Anchors are illustrated in the Bay of Gibraltar and at several other points along the European Mediterranean coast, indicating safe harbors for mariners. Depth soundings are also noted by these harbors. A small illustration of a sword is included under 'Cadix', referring to the Battle of Cadiz in 1596. While there have been several Battles of Cadiz throughout history (by 1730 there had been seven), the joint English-Dutch raid in 1596 was the only successful sacking of the city. Three magnificent ships of the line are illustrated plying the waters of the Atlantic, their sails billowing in the wind. A title cartouche is situated along the upper border, with the text appearing on a lion's pelt that has been stretched between two posts.
This map was created by Jean de Petit and published by Johann Weidler and Homann Heirs in 1730.
Johann Friedrich Weidler (April 23, 1691 - December 30, 1755) was a German mathematician and legal scholar. Born in Großneuhausen, Weidler enrolled at the University of Jena in 1706 at the age of fifteen. He then enrolled at the University of Wittenburg from which he graduated with a Master's degree in 1712. He was named an adjunct professor at the Philosophical Faculty of the Wittenberg Academy in 1715. He took a break from teaching in 1726 and 1727 and traveled to Holland, England, France, and Switzerland. He received a doctorate in law from a university in Basel in 1727. Weidler then returned to Wittenberg and took a post as an associate professor in the Law School. He published a book based on his mathematics lectures, Institutiones mathematicae, which was published in five editions during his lifetime and several more following his death. Weidler also wrote extensively on astronomy and was named as a foreign member of the Royal Prussian Society of Sciences in 1730.
Johann Baptist Homann (March 20, 1664 - July 1, 1724) was the most prominent and prolific map publisher of the 18th century. Homann was born in Oberkammlach, a small town near Kammlach, Bavaria, Germany. As a young man Homann studied in a Jesuit school and nursed ambitions of becoming a Dominican priest before converting to Protestantism in 1687. Following his conversion, Homann moved to Nuremberg and found employment as a notary. Around 1693 Homan briefly relocated to Vienna, where he lived and studied printing and copper plate engraving until 1695. Afterwards he returned to Nuremberg where, in 1702, he founded the commercial publishing firm that would bear his name. In the next five years Homann produced hundreds of maps and developed a distinctive style characterized by heavy detailed engraving, elaborate allegorical cartouche work, and vivid hand color. The Homann firm, due to the lower cost of printing in Germany, was able to undercut the dominant French and Dutch publishing houses while matching the diversity and quality of their output. By 1715 Homann's rising star caught the attention of the Holy Roman Emperor Charles the VI, who appointed him Imperial Cartographer. In the same year he was also appointed a member of the Royal Academy of Sciences in Berlin. Homann's prestigious title came with a number of important advantages including access to the most up to date cartographic information as well as the "Privilege". The Privilege was a type of early copyright offered to a few individuals by the Holy Roman Emperor. Though not as sophisticated as modern copyright legislation, the Privilege did offer a kind of limited protection for several years. Most all J. B. Homann maps printed between 1715 and 1730 bear the inscription "Cum Priviligio" or some variation. Following Homann's death in 1726, the management of the firm passed to his son Johann Christoph Homann (1703 - 1730). J. C. Homann, perhaps realizing that he would not long survive his father, stipulated in his will that the company would be inherited by his two head managers, Johann Georg Ebersberger and Johann Michael Franz, and that it would publish only under the name Homann Heirs. This designation, in various forms (Homannsche Heirs, Heritiers de Homann, Lat Homannianos Herod, Homannschen Erben, etc..) appears on maps from about 1731 onwards. The firm continued to publish maps in ever diminishing quantities until the death of its last owner, Christoph Franz Fembo in 1848.
Very good. Closed tear extending 2.25 inches in upper portion of map professionaly repaired on verso. Blank on verso.
Bibliothèque nationale de France CPL GE DD-2987.