Strelok Bay to St. Vladimir Bay
1868 (dated) 26 x 39 in (66.04 x 99.06 cm)
1 : 298000
This is a rare 1868 Admiralty nautical chart or maritime map of the Pacific coast of Russian Manchuria, just east of Valdivostok. The map depicts the coastline in great detail from Nakhodka to St. Vladimir Bay (Zaliv Vladimira). Numerous locations are labeled along the coast, including several points, islands, rivers, and smaller bays. Depth soundings are noted all along the coast, with the highest concentration around St. Vladimir Bay and America Bay. Four inset maps are situated in the upper left corner, depicting Tcheniya Bay, Nakhodka Bay, Olga Bay, and Wrangel Bay. Each of these inset maps include numerous depth soundings along with several identified locations. A profile view of the coastline between Olga Bay and St. Vladimir Bay is also illustrated.
This map was produced and published by the Admiralty in 1868 from surveys conducted by Lieutenant C.J. Bullock under the direction of Commander J. Ward. Additional information was acquired by consulting a Russian chart published in 1863.
The British Admiralty Office (1795 - Present) or the United Kingdom Hydrographic Office refers to the Branch of the English government that is responsible for the command of the British Navy. In 1795 King George III created the United Kingdom Hydrographic Office, known in short as the U.K.H.O., to provide top notch nautical charts to the vast Royal Navy. Prior the founding of the Admiralty the surveying and creation of nautical charts was primarily a commercial venture wherein the cartographer himself, more of than not, actually financed the printing of his own material. The great navigator Cook himself is known to have scrambled for funds to publish his own seminal charts - the most important and advanced of the period. The system of privately funded nautical mapping and publishing left vast portions of the world uncharted and many excellent charts unpublished. King George III, responding significant loss in trade revenue related to shipwrecks and delay due to poor charts, recognized the need for an institutionalized government sponsored cartographic agency - the Admiralty. The first head of the Admiralty, a position known as Hydrographer, was the important cartographer Alexander Dalrymple. Dalrymple started by organizing and cataloging obtainable charts before initiating the laborious process of updating them and filling in the blanks. The first official Admiralty Chart appeared in 1800 and detailed Quiberon Bay in Brittany. By 1808 the position of Hydrographer fell to Captain Thomas Hurd. Hurd advocated the sale of Admiralty charts to the general public and, by the time he retired in 1829, had issued and published some 736 charts. Stewardship of the organization then passed to Rear Admiral Sir Francis Beaufort. It was under Beaufort's administration that the Admiralty truly developed as a "chart making" as opposed to a "chart cataloging" institution. Beaufort held his post from 1829 to 1854. In his 25 years at the Admiralty Beaufort created nearly 1500 new charts and sponsored countless surveying and scientific expeditions - including the 1831 to 1836 voyage of the H.M.S. Beagle. By 1855 the Admiralty's chart catalog listed some 1,981 charts.
Very good. Soiling to lower margin but does not effect printed area. Blank on verso.