Birds Eye View of Boston Harbor Along the South Shore to Provincetown.
16 x 20 in (40.64 x 50.8 cm)
1 : 287000
This is a remarkable 1920 chromolithograph map and view of the Boston Harbor from Boston to Provincetown. It covers all of Cape Cod Bay, Quincy Bay and Dorchester bay with the communities of Boston, east Boston, south Boston, Dorchester, Quincy, Hough's Neck, Mingham, Nantasket, Duxbury, Plymouth, Cohasset, Scituate, and Provincetown noted. Many of the islands in Boston Harbor, including Moon Island, Spectacle Island, Thomson's Island, Long Island, Governor's Island, and many others are also identified. An index in the bottom margin lists several other important places identified on the map. Ferry and steamboat routes are noted throughout. This view, dated to 1920 and copyrighted by the Union News Company is based upon the late 19th century view of John Murphy. This view was engraved and printed by the Federal Engraving Co., and published by the Union News Company of New York and Boston.
Union News Company (fl. c. 1890 - 1969) was founded by William Skelly in the late 1800's and operated until the late 1960s. After the railroads opened it became custom to have boys -newsboys- pass through the cars with waters, newspapers and other small amenities. Skelly was the first newsboy on the railroad and became well known among railroad passengers. He gradually increased his facilities, hiring additional newsboys, until he virtually monopolized the railroad, and later steamship, news business. He made a small fortune and used this to found the Union News Company. The company was first known for the sales of newspapers in stations until it was able to expand and being selling papers on the train and in station restaurants. Union News continued to grow becoming major distributors of postcards and other printed items through their newsstands at hotels, rail and subway stations. The company officially folded in 1969. Learn More...
Very good. Minor wear along original fold lines. Professionally flattened and backed with archival tissue. Accompanied by original binder.